• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helicopter Pilot

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
Are the requirement to be a helicopter pilot the same for being a jet pilot? I have to wear glasses when I drive but I was going to get PRK so I just wanted to know if they are the same and if their not what are they?

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
Anthros what are those and if I apply to SNA I can go to either jets or helicopters

Anthropometrics are the measurements of your body, essentially. Things such as elbow to tip of fingers, butt to knee, length of leg fully extended, max reach, etc. Because of your anthro measurements you may be suitable for some platforms and not others. For example, your butt to knee measurements may be too long to fly a Prowler, but it might be just fine for Hornets or Harriers.

You may select Jets, Helicopters, or Maritime upon completing primary flight training. Based upon the needs of the service, your performance, and your desires (in that order) you may or may not get what you want.

akdorsey

Well I have a small history of childhood asthma but if I pass the MEPS with a waiver can I still be accepted into SNA?

gtxc2001

pilot
Contributor
Asthma is generally a no go. Childhood "asthma" could be reactive airway disease. RAD commonly disappears with no reoccurances as you grow older. No part of any medical questionaire says anything about reactive airway disease. My personal opinion is that if you don't use any medication for the condition, you haven't had symptoms in several years, and you can engage in strenuous physical activity and run a good PRT with no problems, you might strongly consider how much you want to volunteer. They will look at your medical records, so consider how prominent any mention of asthma is in your medical file.

The official stance can be found here: http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver%20Guide%20-%20Respiratory.pdf

akdorsey

Well I was first told I had it when I was 8 or so and I don't seen any signs of it. The only time I get short of breathe is when i'm around dogs or other animals and she does give me Singulair but I don't take it cause I don't need it. I can run the 1.5 in about 10:30 or so and I can do 70+ push ups and the same sit ups. I do want to be in the Navy and thats the only thing I want to do and i'll do anything to be a Naval Officer. Do they get the medical records from EVERY doctor you have ever gone to or just the hospital? Also I can't view your link for some reason.

gtxc2001

pilot
Contributor
To my knowledge, you supply records regarding conditions that you mark as having occurred on your medical questionaire. It could be different for different programs.

akdorsey

So if I have a condition that WILL affect me in OCS or have a big history of it then supply it but if its just something small or like a one time thing not to put that down?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
So if I have a condition that WILL affect me in OCS or have a big history of it then supply it but if its just something small or like a one time thing not to put that down?

You don't have asthma.

Do not mention it.

akdorsey

So my doctor is wrong. I knew something was wrong when I never saw any signs but when around animals and that is prolly just allergies. Thanks.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
So my doctor is wrong. I knew something was wrong when I never saw any signs but when around animals and that is prolly just allergies. Thanks.

Uh, I don't know if thats what Dr. eddie meant ... We're not saying the doctor is necessarily wrong.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Uh, I don't know if thats what Dr. eddie meant ... We're not saying the doctor is necessarily wrong.

Exactly...he meant it like this...

You don't have asthma.

kenobi_011.jpg

akdorsey

Gotcha. I guess now there isn't anything standing in front of me for being in the Navy but there are some stuff to get around for being a pilot lol. Got to take one step at a time.