• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo lands on Everest

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
Ok so maybe not so new. It happened last May. A new record has been achieved for the highest altitude take-off and landing.

On May 14th, 2005 at 7h08 (local time), a serial Ecureuil/AStar AS 350 B3 piloted by the
EUROCOPTER X-test pilot Didier Delsalle, landed at 8,850 meters (29,035ft) on the top of the
Mount Everest (Kingdom of Nepal).

This tremendous achievement breaks the World Record for the highest altitude landing and
take-off ever, which sets an ultimate milestone in the History of Aviation.

EurocopterUSA

kobyra

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Those french do know how to build a nice helo. I flew a lot in AS350 A's, B's, B2's, and B3's back home in Southeast Alaska. They are by far the best light helos in the world (i've flown in other light helos too). The Turbomecha engines are simply amazing.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Those french do know how to build a nice helo. I flew a lot in AS350 A's, B's, B2's, and B3's back home in Southeast Alaska. They are by far the best light helos in the world (i've flown in other light helos too). The Turbomecha engines are simply amazing.

Back in '92 when the Army was selecting the NTH (New Training Helicopter) platform I had the opportunity to fly and evaluate the AS350 contender from Eurocopter. Flying out of Crestview - I took the aircraft to Harold OLF and flew about every FAM and HTAC manuver profile I could think of - and it performed very very well.

It was a larger aircarft than the '57 - and it flew like a larger aircraft. I reached the opinion that this was the training aircraft the we should have adopted although it's hard to argue with the success, longevity and safety of the mighty TH-57.

The Army seemed to reach the same conclusion - it picked the TH-67 - nearly a twin of the TH-57.

Later I flew many Eurocopter products - and yes the French/Germans do have their sh!t together when it comes to rotorcraft!

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Later I flew many Eurocopter products - and yes the French/Germans do have their sh!t together when it comes to rotorcraft!

agree 100%. on the subject of fixed wing though, i think french planes blow.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It Was a Hoax??

http://americasroof.com/wp/archives/2005/06/03/report-everest-eurocopter-landing-was-hoax/

Everestnews is reporting that the Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal has said the pilot of the Eurocopter has told them that he did not actually land on the Everest summit on May 14 and 15 as widely publicized but rather 1,000 meters lower on the South Col (and then it only hovered).

Blogs and internet chat rooms had lit up with charges of fraud after Eurocopter released its movie of the landing. The movie from three onboard cameras had been heavily edited. The video showed a summit that was too round, lacked the notorious oxygen bottle debris and was missing critical landmarks.................(see link for the rest of article and discussion)

http://www.7days.ae/global-news/everest-landing-denial.html

Everest landing denial
Friday, 19 August 2005

Nepalese authorities have rejected a claim by French firm Eurocopter that it landed a helicopter on the summit of Everest, the world's tallest mountain.

Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN) director general Rajesh Dali was responding to Eurocopter's reported statement that it had scored the world first in May.

"The Eurocopter never landed on the 8,848-metre-high (29,028-foot) Mount Everest but only touched South Col (8,750 metres) for two minutes," Dali told AFP.

"We never permitted the pilot, Didier Delsalle, to land on top of Mount Everest," Dali said. "He had been permitted only to hover over the mountain."

He added that Delsalle said in a written statement to CAAN that he did not land on Everest's summit as there wasn't enough room. "He just touched south summit for two minutes to avert dangerous and strong winds."

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
if a helo can hover that high, could they land it? Seems like they could - Helo bubbas, wana chime in?

i've only seen a few pics of the summit of mt everest and i don't think you could land a helo there (small as the AS350 is).