• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo vid

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Pretty cool stuff, but I've seen it before... only with a CH-53! A few years ago, my Maintenance Officer had shown our shop (I was working in the T64 Powerplants division) a video of a 53 doing all these crazy maneuvers. From what I remember, Sikorsky was making a sales pitch to the Japanese. It was pretty intense, especially when they put it in the bay up to the sponsons, and had it motor around like a boat. Anyone seen it on YouTube or the like?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Aircraft is a Eurocopter (formerly MBB) BO-105. About 300+ hours in type myself. Fully aerobatic capable. All the fluid systems capable of sustaining inverted flight (why? I don't have a clue).

The rotor head is a solid piece of milled titanium. No hinges/bearing surfaces on the rotor, rather the whole blade root bends/twists. The downside to this system is you better damn well have hydraulic power or you are screwed big time. No amount of physical force on the flight controls will help if you suffer loss of hydraulics. Fortunately, the aircraft had dual hydraulic power packs, manifolds, actuators, etc.

The cyclic has an especially short range of motion - and it's basically flown with thetrim buttons - no "force trim" button. CG is pretty far forward too so landing with no wind you often run out of aft cyclic.

The seats and seat rail interestingly are stressed for negative G - the Germans overbuilt the hell out of this machine. The airframe is a tank.

Engines are nothing special - same motors as on your TH-57 only there are two of them. Torque limited just like the '57 too. Engine controls are on roof mounted levers instead of twist grip. Starting was a pin - the engine start switches are on the center lower console and it was a bit of an acrobatic feet to start engines - holding the spring loaded start witch with one hand and using the engine control lever with the other - no ergonomics here.

OH and all single piloted!

Not a great cockpit for tall guys!

Rugged, could carry a decent load and the bubble shape made it fast - 140-150 KIAS at 5500 LBS.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
It'll be in San Diego 3-4 May, it's the arial camera helo, very impresive they do a pre-race routine and goes through the course, even the camera pattern is scary (if you're a helo guy), saw them last year...absolutely bad a$$!!!

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Wow... I guess he has more of a death wish than us Marines do! Loved the 70's music by the way.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wow... I guess he has more of a death wish than us Marines do! Loved the 70's music by the way.

It's not a death wish, it's standard helo flying. He's a little lower than what's "approved" in our TRA environment, but he's on a low level route that he no doubt has flown countless times. This coupled w/ a telephoto lens and/or a lens pulled out all the way out makes it seem more dramatic. He actually not going all that fast most of the time. I'd guess no more than around 100 knots-ish. Looks like a lot of fun. My only "worry" is hitting the rotors on the ground in a high AOB turn. He was pretty close on one shot.