• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help getting into CTN

lpcxa0

Thanks in advance for any help any responses will provide - I greatly appreciate it.

I am trying to get into the CTN (cryptology technician network) field. I have a bachelor's in Information Technology, and about 5 years experience working in the civilian side of things. I do have quite a bit of experience programming and networking. I am looking for any help getting into this field, things that I should improve on, things I should learn, etc. Anything would be helpful.

Also, I am hearing that with a college degree I should enroll in OCS; I know this isn't the proper category to list this question in but how is it looked upon to be 22 and a fresh enlist. There are some reasons why I do not want to go to OCS as my first choice, but I've been hearing that a fresh enlist at my age is looked down upon. The main reason that I'm choosing not to enlist is that during college, I was enrolled in Army ROTC and at the end of the day, gave it up because I couldn't handle the fact of sending my men into combat without myself being the first in and last out. Also, I wasn't too keen on the fact that a 22 year old would outrank a 30 year old sergeant. Before anyone makes the comment, I have no problem with taking the orders, but I personally didn't like it.

Thanks again for any help.

lpcxa0

Non-Commissioned vs. Commissioned

Hey everyone - sorry if this is question is posted all the time, I'm new to the forums. But thanks in advance for any help/advice.

I'm looking to go into the cryptology field, with a college degree in Information Systems. I have maintained slightly higher then a 3.0 throughout my college career. I am wondering if there is really an advantage to enrolling in OCS compared to working through the non-commissioned fields. I have heard that a 22 year old college graduate is looked down upon if not commissioned.

I have my reasons as to why I do not want to OCS as my first path choice in the Navy. Namely, the fact that I'm more hands-on with my job while managing is best left to someone else. I have had both kinds of jobs, and have found greater satisfaction in hands-on work. Also, I was part of the Army ROTC for a few semesters in college but left due to not being keen on the idea of myself outranking those who have spent years in the military. Respect aside that any smart officer has for their more combat experienced soldiers, I just had a hard time getting use to that idea.

Thanks again for any help or advice.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You've answered your own question in both posts. You should enlist for the field you want and start out in a hands-on role that you say you are more comfortable in doing ove ra management role. Therefore, you won't be looked down upon (you should investigate that notion further though; it's only true if you act like a NTAC) and decide if you want to pursue one of several paths to become commissioned later on.

Note: there is a distinct difference in pay and quality of life that you should consider, but the Navy and Marine Corps both reap the benefit of having outstanding enlisted personnel seek a commissioning path and continue to serve in even more challenging roles. There are many here that represent a variety of paths available and you can judge for yourself by their responses.

phrogpilot73

Also, I wasn't too keen on the fact that a 22 year old would outrank a 30 year old sergeant.

left due to not being keen on the idea of myself outranking those who have spent years in the military.

So how keen are you on the idea that YOU'RE going to take orders from a 22 year old, fresh from college. If it bothered you then, than it's something to consider.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
I have heard that a 22 year old college graduate is looked down upon if not commissioned.

I have my reasons as to why I do not want to OCS as my first path choice in the Navy. Namely, the fact that I'm more hands-on with my job while managing is best left to someone else. I have had both kinds of jobs, and have found greater satisfaction in hands-on work.

My question for you, before discussing the pros/cons of entering the Navy as an enlisted sailor or as an officer, is: what is it about serving in the US Navy (be it enlisted or commissioned) that appeals to you, as opposed to staying the civilian workforce?

Also, I was part of the Army ROTC for a few semesters in college but left due to not being keen on the idea of myself outranking those who have spent years in the military. Respect aside that any smart officer has for their more combat experienced soldiers, I just had a hard time getting use to that idea.

Here is a difference between a good officer and an outstanding officer. A good officer in the Navy will listen to his/her experienced sailor's recommendations and help make a decision based on that info. An outstanding officer will have previously monitored maintenance and have hit the books to understand the complexities off all the systems involved with his/her division. When a problem arises, an outstanding officer will already know the probable answer in his/her mind but will listen to his/her experienced sailors and actively discuss the solution in order to continually train the sailors as well as ensure the best action is taken.

To be an outstanding officer you must be hands-on. You won't actually turn valves or load crypto, but you'll be that person right behind the shoulder ensuring everything is done properly. That is how you learn, so eventually you can be effective.

I feel this is a lot more rewarding than actually performing the tasks.

As for your comments on being looked down upon as a 22 year old in boot camp. Age doesn't matter. It is all about attitude and performance. If you think that doing the hands-on work is more self-satisfying, then bring that attitude and commitment to boot camp and you'll succeed.