• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help Making Decision

Ryan237

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been following the forum for about six months and need some advise on what you guys would do in my situation. I am not basing my decisions off of any one source but it is always good to get as much input as possible.
I am currently getting ready to contract to submit my package on monday for OCS 190 as an air slot. I am 22 years old and just graduated from college. This has been something that I have wanted to pursue for sometime even though many of my relatives and friends feel that I am crazy. The reason I am in need of some advice is that my small business that I started during college to supplement my income has suddenly become not so small. Long story short, I have the opportunity to make nearky 100K next year and be my own boss if I stayed in the civilian world. Because I do not know many marines, all the advice I am revieving seems to be that it would be crazy to not take this opportunity in my first year out of college. I am having a tough time setting aside my dream of being a Marine and possible a pilot to make some money. I was wondering what your guys thoughts would be about this situation if you had the opportunity that I have right now. I have always wanted to be a Marine, but many people seem to feel that I am not making the smartest decision by doing so because they say the military is not what it is cracked up to be.
Thank You for any advise you are willing to give

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Follow your dreams. You can aways get out later and make lots of money but you really only have about one shot at being a Marine offcier and Naval Aviator. If you dont try you may regret it the rest of your life. As for family and friends talking you out of it, it is YOUR life not theirs.
Take it from someone on this side of the fence go for it. You can always be your own boss when youre older.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I've known many people in the military that joined despite having a very good future in the civilian world. Very few of those have regretted the decision. Like skid said you have to figure out what you want.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Just another note about the family not wanting you to do it or thinking you're crazy. Most likely they'll come around. I thought that my parents would go postal worker when they found out what I was doing/planning on doing, but they ended up being ok with it. Since I always talked about it, they knew its what I wanted, but were always against it. In their opinion, everyone who is in the military goes to war, and everyone who goes to war gets killed. Then suddenly, they just came to realize that I am making an attempt for something that I always wanted, and they kinda backed off. I realize that you said the money is a big thing, but I thought the family might play a big part in your decision too. And also, I personally agree about following what you want to do. You can always go back to being in charge of a company if things dont work out, or after you get out of the military. But then again, thats just the opinion of someone about to finish college (i.e. I don't know S***) :icon_smil