• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help with project

Status
Not open for further replies.

megadethstar

Hello, I am doing a research project on the Naval Flight Officer career and I need a help with a few things.

II. History of the Career
A. When the career began
B. Where it began Why was the career needed

V. Demand
A. Where is this career needed
B. Current amount of this career in the work force
C. Average number of years a person is in this career

VI. Earnings
C. Tax bracket

VII. People in Career
A. Famous people
B. Pioneers
C. Personality characteristics of people in the career

There is much more but I have found it, if anyone could please help me out with this I would be most appreciative.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
megadethstar said:
Hello, I am doing a research project on the Naval Flight Officer career and I need a help with a few things.

There is much more but I have found it, if anyone could please help me out with this I would be most appreciative.
Good looking, charismatic, charming, intelligent, enjoys a good beer and sport f'ck. Everything a hot girl wants in a f'buddy.

jace

HAL Pilot said:
Good looking, charismatic, charming, intelligent, enjoys a good beer and sport f'ck. Everything a hot girl wants in a f'buddy.

Good show. Bet the kid's mom will be tickled pink with you help.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
jace said:
Good show. Bet the kid's mom will be tickled pink with you help.
Just getting the facts straight before someone from the single anchor mafia starts spreading bad gouge.

ocjams

"single anchor mafia"

Hal, I gotta admit...I've never heard anyone use that phrase before. Good one! (Single anchor mafia)

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
megadethstar said:

II. History of the Career
A. When the career began
B. Where it began Why was the career needed

V. Demand
A. Where is this career needed
B. Current amount of this career in the work force
C. Average number of years a person is in this career

VI. Earnings
C. Tax bracket

VII. People in Career
A. Famous people
B. Pioneers

OK dude, you are asking for quite a lot. I would go to navy.mil and look up pay tables to get earnings information because pay differs on your rank. As for column II, the NFO is needed in different platforms for different reasons. One of our main jobs is navigation and pilot backup. A lot of times, things get hairy and it's good to have another set of eyes in the cockpit to back you up. We also do airborne control of strikes. We control the fighters and send them orders on what poor bastard is going to have his life ruined by the pointy nosed fellas. I don't know the actual time that the NFO was created so you will have to look that up.

V. The NFO role is changing. With the advent of new non NFO aircraft (JSF) and reduced NFO aircraft (Prowler to Growler), NFO's are finding themselves slowly being cut out of the loop. However, they are still drastically needed in the E2C Hawkeye and the Superbug. There are also NFO's on P-3's and E-6's. Look up other posts to get specifics on the mission of these guys.

Amount of guys in the job....tough question dude...I don't know an actual number. Suffice to say...lots.

Average Career length: There is no average. NFOs can be admirals or get out after their JO tour. There is no set average that I know of. Obviously, opportunities get smaller as you promote so I am guessing that the majority of us are out around senior 0-4 or 0-5.

As far as personalities go, you have all kinds...NFOs tend to be a bit more laid back than pilots. We are definitely less competitive with eachother in my opinion. Generally though, all aviators are pretty laid back and relaxed. It's a great community. I hope this helps you.

megadethstar

Thank you greatly goplay234. For actually answering on one part. And it is great to hear answers from an actual NFO. This is gonna help me out alot. /salute

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Oooh...sounds like a research paper for high school. My teachers would've *****-slapped (read = failed) me into the next semester if I had gotten information off a forum. But hey, that's just where I grew up.

How would you cite this anyway?
goplay234. "Re: Help with project." Airwarriors. www.airwarriors.com Mar. 22, 2005"

???

Good luck on your paper, dude.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
goplay234 said:
As far as personalities go, you have all kinds...NFOs tend to be a bit more laid back than pilots.

ahhhh hahahahahahahahahahaah
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....gotta love the TRACOMs...

VP side...Quall'ed NFOs eat their young and then prey on each other for dessert. At least in my old Fleet squadron...

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Tripp said:
Oooh...sounds like a research paper for high school. My teachers would've *****-slapped (read = failed) me into the next semester if I had gotten information off a forum. But hey, that's just where I grew up.

How would you cite this anyway?

Good luck on your paper, dude.

HAHAHA. My Mil His prof in college did *****-slap a few people (out of school evnetually) for using the internet w/out citing. Ah the memories.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Last year in AP English, we seriously spent every day for a week or more talking about the ramifications of cheating (including not proper citing) at both my high school and several colleges after some girl basically copied and pasted a bunch of crap from sparknotes. Moron.

Anyways megadethstar, we aren't trying to be rude to you, but you gotta look this stuff up on your own. No one is going to do the project for you, which is basically what your original post asked the people who use these boards to do. Go to www.navy.com and www.navy.mil and www.google.com and find as much information as you can. Hell, even try the academy and NROTC wesbites, they have information on the warfare communities (ie: NFO).

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
DanMav1156 said:
Last year in AP English, we seriously spent every day for a week or more talking about the ramifications of cheating (including not proper citing) at both my high school and several colleges after some girl basically copied and pasted a bunch of crap from sparknotes. Moron.

Auburn actually revoked the (journalism) degree of a girl who plagarized something in the campus literary magazine. She only got caught after the original author Googled his work and found it attributed to someone else. He brought it to the J-school's attention and they hung her out to f'ing dry.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
zab1001 said:
ahhhh hahahahahahahahahahaah
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....gotta love the TRACOMs...

VP side...Quall'ed NFOs eat their young and then prey on each other for dessert. At least in my old Fleet squadron...
See ocjams - the mafia.... :D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The story of the origins of NFO used to part of a photo display of the first designated NFO in oneof VT-10s buildings. That isn't around anymore? The first non pilot officers worn Aerial Observor wings. Enlised Aircrew looking wings with an 'AO" on them. I believe the first actual NFO 132X was an A-6 BN in the '60s. I believe that prior to that the non pilot officers that flew as required aircrew were just 13XX general aviation officers.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
When I did the ERAU masters thing at NAS Jax, one of the instructors was a retired P-3 driver from before the days of the NFO. He actually attended Nav school and learned celestial nav, etc. He said that when he joined, Nav was the junior pilot position and you qualified upwards from there.

I've also talked to F-4 pilots that were quite happy with the advent of the NFO. Seems they had to fly RIO as the junior pilots in the squadron. Unlike the AF pilots who did this too, the Navy F-4 had no stick in the back so it was even worst for them.

The ERAU instructor also told me that back in his day (he retired mid to late 1960s), pilots were allowed to fly anything to get their flight time. He told stories of his 4 hours of training to qualify him to fly the station F-4 to keep his flight pay. He flew C-1s, A-4s and other Navy aircraft with similiar amounts of "training".

Status
Not open for further replies.