• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helpful Hint For "Dinosaurs" re Acronyms

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
BzB 604...don't miss this one!

Frustrated by my lack of familiarity with today's common acronyms...and failure to comprehend many of the AW forum posts...I discovered the following simple solution:

Open a second window in your browser while on AW...might I suggest:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/HMS.html

Voila!! A couple keystrokes, a few seconds...and things begin to make some sense...

Although site does not include what A4s' favorite might be...FANKUA!

(j/k, A4s!!)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BzB 604...don't miss this one!

Frustrated by my lack of familiarity with today's common acronyms...and failure to comprehend many of the AW forum posts...I discovered the following simple solution:

RonDeb, Yeah... good dope. Back in the "middle ages" we had acronyms, but not nearly so many (& even they have changed). Today, acronyms are like a 2nd language shorthand, which is OK... if you're fluent; but a big garble if you are Tyrannasaurus Rex!:confused:

Your link will help, +1.
Crunch! Oh drat, jus ran over my trifocals w/my walker!!!:eek:
BzB

das

Contributor
The best is when you have recursive acronyms that go two or three layers deep.

HCT = HUMINT Collection Team -> HUMINT = Human Intelligence

LGM = Laser Guided Munitions -> LASER = Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

GO = GEOINT Online -> GEOINT = Geospatial Intelligence

And here's a good one:

CREW = Counter RC-IED EW -> RC = Radio Controlled, IED = Improvised Explosive Device, EW = Electronic Warfare

:)

Annalisa

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
The best is when you have recursive acronyms that go two or three layers deep.

My understanding of a recursive acronym isn't that it's an acronym containing a different acronym, but that it includes itself in one of the letters.

GNU (operating system): GNU is Not UNIX
NINJA (brand of canned compressed air): NINJA Is Not Just Air

...I'll just go back and hide under my (technologically advanced) nerd rock now. :p

das

Contributor
My understanding of a recursive acronym isn't that it's an acronym containing a different acronym, but that it includes itself in one of the letters.

Ah, good call...I guess I really mean nested acronyms, as opposed to "recursive". I just intended to convey that the process recursed, but you're absolutely right! ;)

And one more actual recursive acronym:

WINE = WINE Is Not an Emulator

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4's will know that one...

It's a paddles call...comes right after...Low, Slow, Not Enough Power, and Lined Up Left

Fuckin' A Near Killed Us All!! :D
I 'knew' it -- just never gave it :) -- 'cause it was preempted by a:

W/ONC

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
W/ONC stands for what?
Have you no imagination ... ??? Have you no 'soul' ... ???

ACTUALLY ... it was a copyright grade of mine, so why should/would you know:

W/ONC = WAVE OFF, NO CHANCE :)
(translation: it's a REALLY screwed up pass -- you're not comin' aboard -- go away and do it again!!!)

Technically, I couldn't say 'fuck' in the 'book' or debrief (at least not officially) ... otherwise it would have been W/ONFC ... :)