• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Here she is...the USS New York

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
The USS New York:

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions
that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a
crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered
ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center (24 tons) was melted down in a foundry
in Amite, LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured
into the molds on 9 September 2003, "those big rough steelworkers
treated it with total reverence," recalled NAVY Capt. Kevin Wensing,
who was there. "It was a spiritual moment for everybody there."

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the
Trade Center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and
the "hair on my neck stood up." "They can't keep us down, we're
going to be back," he said.

The ship's motto?..."NEVER FORGET"

new-york-uss.jpg

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Lets hope she is built properly. The USS San Antonio is dealing with alot of problems right now and the SECNAV isn't too happy with it.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think that class of ship is having problems. Here's a Norfolk based article on her sister ship. I bet they'll work it out. $$$$ of course, but what isn't?

hscs

pilot
New ships -- like new planes have their share of troubles. Remember where these ships are built -- pretty much where the eyewall of Katrina came ashore.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
New ships -- like new planes have their share of troubles. Remember where these ships are built -- pretty much where the eyewall of Katrina came ashore.

It is a lot more than that, the San Antonio is having a lot more problems than she should have. I think I shipbuilding pocess is broke right now and is in desperate need of fixing.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
The San Antonio was also the first to attempt a truly integrated design process trying to take advantage of the CAD age. Great on paper, tricky in practice for the first try.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The first model year of cars is always full of problems so I can only imagine what a ship would be like. You can design, test and prepare for all possible situations, but there's nothing like real world experience to fine tune things, especially on such a large scale. Give it a couple ships and they'll have a bulk of the problems taken care of.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The first model year of cars is always full of problems so I can only imagine what a ship would be like. You can design, test and prepare for all possible situations, but there's nothing like real world experience to fine tune things, especially on such a large scale. Give it a couple ships and they'll have a bulk of the problems taken care of.

First model year issues are not the problem, we have had serious issues with almost every ship to roll out in the past few years, Coast Guard included. I am not talking abotu a few issues here and there, the CG cutters have possible sttructural problems and the LCS ships are runnign almost twice their original price. As I see it, the system is broke when there are no penalties for running over price and not delivering as promised, then they get millions more to fix what was wrong.

Delve into it a little more, it strikes me that the shipbuilding industry is broke dick right now. Almost as bad as the satellite makers........:(

Part of it is the Navy's fault for wanting leaps in technology instead of incremental improvements over time, we have gotten just as bad as the Air Force in that respect. The best example I can think of for incremental changes is the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, which is fielded in the fleet and working already, on time and on budget. The Navy seems to be doing the right thing with the new carriers right now in that respect, accepting incremental improvements instead of trying to reinvent the wheel in one shot.

Another hit is the failure to hold the contractors responsible for failing to meet their contractual obligations.

The contractors are responsible too, for over-promising what they can deliver. They get away with it because there are not held responsible for their failures.

http://www.defenselink.mil/Releases/Release.aspx?ReleaseID=10396

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0207/021407cdam2.htm

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/issues/2006/August/TroubledCoast.htm

hscs

pilot
Disagree Flash -- There were many jumps in technology that were attempted with the design. I wouldn't say that shipbuilding is broken -- the design was maybe a little too much at first. The shipbuilders will learn how to do things the new way and build good solid ships. I would venture to say that ships like the Nimitz had similar issues. Take a look at the MH-60S -- supposedly a proven design, but a small change in the 308 beam construction and the aircraft started having significant cracks after 2-3 years.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Disagree Flash -- There were many jumps in technology that were attempted with the design. I wouldn't say that shipbuilding is broken -- the design was maybe a little too much at first. The shipbuilders will learn how to do things the new way and build good solid ships. I would venture to say that ships like the Nimitz had similar issues. Take a look at the MH-60S -- supposedly a proven design, but a small change in the 308 beam construction and the aircraft started having significant cracks after 2-3 years.

Some of the things I pointed out are not a few cracks here or there, or even system integration problems. A lot of it has to do with the product meeting the requirements of the contract.

There have way too many examples of systems that were delivered over-priced, over-schedule and under-performing. Then, we spend millions of dollars more to have the manufacturers fix the problems that were not supposed to be there in the first place, with no penalty for screwing it up in the first place.

If you can't call that screwed up I don't know what is. :eek:

hscs

pilot
^ I would say that is more of a problem of those who review the proposals that are submitted. Cost overruns happen on just about every product -- I would say this is a contract awarding issue more than a shipbuilding issue. You could even call it political -- as the service can say we want x of number of this system at this price and go back later and ask for more money during a different FY to complete the project. Kinda like the USAF building the golf course before the runway...

Lawman

None
^ I would say that is more of a problem of those who review the proposals that are submitted. Cost overruns happen on just about every product -- I would say this is a contract awarding issue more than a shipbuilding issue. You could even call it political -- as the service can say we want x of number of this system at this price and go back later and ask for more money during a different FY to complete the project. Kinda like the USAF building the golf course before the runway...

If your every around Wright Patterson AFB I can show you a 12 million dollar bathroom built on a Golf Course.....:D