• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Heres one for A4s

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Hornets can do sick burnouts.

Can somebody with real experience explain what went down on that one?

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
holy sh!t. ive seen this clip before but damn....Someones gonna be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dogsh!t outta Hong Kong because of that.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Ryoukai said:
Hornets can do sick burnouts.

Can somebody with real experience explain what went down on that one?

Meatball, LINEUP, Angle of Attack.

Too much of a right to left drift. LSO made the "Right for lineup" call and the pilot responded too aggresively. Hooked the 3 or 4 wire with the wingtip missile rail.

Remember seeing that at Aviation Safety Officer School. Somewhere around the house, I have two disks of crash and burn videos.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This is all a guesstimate:

"Looks off to me" ... too. That sounded like the controlling LSO ... i.e., the senior one training another LSO who was actually waving/controlling the pass. The "RIGHT FOR LINEUP" call also sounded like the same voice ... so I'm guessing that the senior LSO finally took control as nothing much was happening from junior LSO --- just a guess, however. It's tough to be "responsible" and train another LSO at the same time while he is actually controlling the pass, but that's the way it works. Very dicey sometimes ..... when do you jump in and take control and when do you let it "go"???

Right around 36 seconds on the clock he drifted RIGHT ... which is unusual and usually dangerous .... around 38-40 seconds he was correcting .... but he didn't take it out ---scan, scan, scan, Meatball, Lineup, AOA --- and continued to drift left until it was too late and/or someone yelled at him. Then he overcorrected grossly for the left drift (which should have been caught earlier by the LSO) dropped his right wing BIG TIME .... and the rest is history.

See how fast this stuff happens on the ship ??? --- there's no room for any slack .

*edit* I see Steve knows something about this ... no doubt more than me .... but I will say one thing more after thinking about it. I used to "talk" to my guys more than is in evidence here --- we all did unless we were operating "zip-lip". From 33 seconds to 41 seconds ... no one talked to the pilot. Just conversation on the platform .... no calls on the radio .... he touched down at 42 seconds .... not too much help from the platform. But again, this is all speculation on my part ... and that is what you wanted, right??? I wasn't there ..... thankfully. :)