• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hey it's the new guy!

RnRdood

Hi everybody! Hope your New Year is coming along good, and thank you for taking the time to view my post. :icon_mi_1

I'm considering joining the Navy through OCS in the hopes of becoming a Navy helo pilot. I'm a 26 year old male from Baldwin Park, CA. (small town east of Los Angeles) and currently hold a Bachelor of Science Degree in Automated Manufacturing Technology and an Associate of Science Degree in Electronics Engineering Technology from ITT Technical Institute. My first consideration of the Navy came by looking at a flyer at ITT (college from here on) about Navy Officer Submarine Nuke jobs. From there I did some research and discovered that I meet the standard requirements for Navy OCS (recruiter confirmed my college as accredited). I was still unsure and decided to talk to a recruiter at the L.A. MEPS. I forget his name, but the gentleman was rather nice and answered all my questions and of course, I answered all of his. After looking through the Officer jobs online at Navy.com, I became interested in the SWO program. The recruiter told me that he is a SWO himself. He asked why I wanted to be a SWO, and I replied by saying that basically I like the idea of running an aircraft carrier or destroyer and living a life out at sea as an officer. In my opinion, the recruiter appeared to be a bit dissuading at best. He asked why I wanted to become an officer, and I said because I want a prestigious position in the military and that the Navy seemed like the best course to take. Long story short, the recruiter may have had a bad day, or maybe he just dislikes being an SWO. In any case, he pretty much told me that whenever I'm ready to take the test, to let him know in order to proceed. I walked out of the MEPS considering another Navy position as an officer based on his attitude and also from the posts I have read hear online (no offense to SWO's; Just my gut speaking).

As of recent, I've been considering flying helos for the Navy and joining the military in general. I used to be a police explorer which was run in a military style fashion. I must say I had a blast during those days. I've also worked as an EMT for a major private ambulance company too. With the New Year here, and my recent band break up, I've decided to consider another path in life; The U.S. Navy.

Now I've made some mistakes in the past which include a criminal record. I would imagine that I would need to clear up all my past mistakes and demostrate I'm not a person of bad morals before I'm considered for OCS. I wanted to know if anybody here has joined with prior records and what they did throughout the application process. All in all, I strongly believe that it is in the best interest to myself and the U.S. Navy that I become a Navy Officer. Your replies are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
I'm considering joining the Navy through OCS in the hopes of becoming a Navy helo pilot. I'm a 26 year old male from Baldwin Park, CA.

Current cutoff for pilot is 27, I believe, but waiverable.

I walked out of the MEPS considering another Navy position as an officer based on his attitude and also from the posts I have read hear online (no offense to SWO's; Just my gut speaking).

Trust your instincts:D

Now I've made some mistakes in the past which include a criminal record...... I wanted to know if anybody here has joined with prior records and what they did throughout the application process.

Depends on the offense, how long ago, etc. Waivers are available for the less severe offenses.

All in all, I strongly believe that it is in the best interest to myself and the U.S. Navy that I become a Navy Officer.

I LOVE this statement, and your recruiter will also. Be sure to share it with your drill instructor when you get to OCS!:D :icon_wink

Good luck with your application, and welcome to AW!:icon_zbee

MrSaturn

Contributor
The three best tips

1. Be very forward and do not try to hide anything in your past. Demonstrate you have learned from your mistakes.

2. Really ask yourself WHY you want to be in the Navy. Everyone will ask you this. So have a good answer. Of course if you can not come up with a good answer... I would think about it some more.

3. Apply the worst they can do is say no.

Good luck!

thull

Now I've made some mistakes in the past which include a criminal record.

so uuuhhh....whadjya do? you certainly wouldn't be the first to get a commission with a bit of a criminal record in your past.

RnRdood

Thank you all for your replies!
My criminal record is minor and based on the information provided, I believe a waiver should suffice. Thanks again!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you all for your replies!
My criminal record is minor and based on the information provided, I believe a waiver should suffice. Thanks again!

In other words..."I want your help, but don't want to tell you my problem..." ???

Good luck.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it's commissioned by age 27. Waiverable for prior enlisted service. Is this correct?

BackOrdered

Contributor
After looking through the Officer jobs online at Navy.com, I became interested in the SWO program. The recruiter told me that he is a SWO himself. He asked why I wanted to be a SWO, and I replied by saying that basically I like the idea of running an aircraft carrier or destroyer and living a life out at sea as an officer. In my opinion, the recruiter appeared to be a bit dissuading at best.

This site is a great place to discover insight on the many officer community opportunities. Try searching SWO or any other officer community into the search bar or try sailorbob.com.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The 27 age limit isn't for all the officer programs available to RnRood. He should talk to a recruiter very soon, however, to preserve his eligibility in as many programs as possible.

True enough, no age waiver except for prior enlisted.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RnRdooD said:
After looking through the Officer jobs online at Navy.com, I became interested in the SWO program. The recruiter told me that he is a SWO himself. He asked why I wanted to be a SWO, and I replied by saying that basically I like the idea of running an aircraft carrier or destroyer and living a life out at sea as an officer.
Curious, but what is it you think you're going to be doing out there that interests you? Hint: I'm a SWO so I'll tell you if you're on the mark or not.