• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hey VQ guys....and S-3 Shadow dudes

Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Before I start, let me apologize to anyone wanting a thread about how much better my commissioning source/community/aircraft/car/computer is. I know you must be disappointed.

As I ignore my instructors in class, I think great thoughts and ponder many things....ok I zone out big time and drink sh!tty army coffee....

So what's the deal with that GIANT radar bubble where the bomb bay used to be on EP-3s? What is it? Surface search? IFF? Ok ok, what do you TELL people it's for? I'll settle for that. Is there another APS-type radar in the nose cone? Oh, and some dude was trying to tell me EP-3s used to carry Harpoon. Is he full of it? Does your toilet flush?

Were ES-3s intergrated in EP-3 squadrons like the Skywarriors were, or did they stand alone? Or were they part of standard S-3 squadrons? Did they carry weaps? Did guys do cross community swaps between straight stick S-3s and the Shadow variant? Could the planes be 'upgraded' or 'downgraded' from one version to another? Or did they have to be built as one version strictly, from the frame up?

Random thoughts...

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
I was actually contemplating this same question. I know NOTHING about the former ES-3's. Someone tell me more...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Before I start, let me apologize to anyone wanting a thread about how much better my commissioning source/community/aircraft/car/computer is. I know you must be disappointed.

As I ignore my instructors in class, I think great thoughts and ponder many things....ok I zone out big time and drink sh!tty army coffee....

So what's the deal with that GIANT radar bubble where the bomb bay used to be on EP-3s? What is it? Surface search? IFF? Ok ok, what do you TELL people it's for? I'll settle for that. Is there another APS-type radar in the nose cone? Oh, and some dude was trying to tell me EP-3s used to carry Harpoon. Is he full of it? Does your toilet flush?

Were ES-3s intergrated in EP-3 squadrons like the Skywarriors were, or did they stand alone? Or were they part of standard S-3 squadrons? Did they carry weaps? Did guys do cross community swaps between straight stick S-3s and the Shadow variant? Could the planes be 'upgraded' or 'downgraded' from one version to another? Or did they have to be built as one version strictly, from the frame up?

Random thoughts...

The M&M, as we "in the know" like to call it, is an Atomic skip bomb that we relase on unsuspecting communist bastards. Yes, I know guys who have actually said that as a joke at airshows and elicited "Really, is it dangerous?" type responses. Actually, it is just a protective cover for an antenna that is housed in there. As for what it actually does, ask an EP-3 guy in person (nothing too exotic). We had a nice color radar in the nose, how about them apples Zab? As for the mighty sky pig carrying weapons, they did, before they were converted to EP-3's!!! Whoever told you it carried weps was blowing smoke up your skirt. And no, our toilet did not flush either "Attention to the crew, Zab just broke the code".

The ES-3's were S-3A's that were converted to their recce mission in the late 80's or early 90's, and you could not convert them back. There were 16 ES-3's (way too few) in 2 squadrons, VQ-5 at North Island and VQ-6 at Jax. The squadrons were stood up specifically for the ES-3's. They usually did not switch back and forth between VQ and VS. And they did not carry weapons either. When they retired they sent most of their guys to S-3's, some to EP-3's and a few to Prowlers. I am not sure if they sent anyone to any other communities. We got a few guys in my old squadron.

The reason they retired them was the Navy did not want to pony up the money to upgrade the fleet. They were useful platforms if eeryone knew how to use them right (the crews and the air wings) and gae a unique organic capability to the carrier. The EA-6B can only do a fraction of what the ES-3 did. And don't ask me what exactly it did, look it up on the internet.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"The M&M, as we "in the know" like to call it, is an Atomic skip bomb that we relase on unsuspecting communist bastards. Yes, I know guys who have actually said that as a joke at airshows and elicited "Really, is it dangerous?" type responses."

Like the EM Pulse my mad boom generates to disrupt sub electronics....

"Actually, it is just a protective cover for an antenna that is housed in there. As for what it actually does, ask an EP-3 guy in person (nothing too exotic)."

nuff said

"We had a nice color radar in the nose, how about them apples Zab?"

bastards

"As for the mighty sky pig carrying weapons, they did, before they were converted to EP-3's!!! Whoever told you it carried weps was blowing smoke up your skirt."

I didn't say I believed him. And its a kilt.

"And no, our toilet did not flush either "Attention to the crew, Zab just broke the code"."

I poop a lot.

thanks for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.