• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HH-60 Smoke in cockpit?

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
Ive been watching SOS: Coast Guard Rescue on discovery channel lately and saw that there is smoke going through the cockpit. What is it and does it serve a pupose?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's the ECS, or Envirnmental Control System. The theory goes that air is pumped through a heat exchanger of some kind, and then "cold air" comes out, thus providing control of your internal environment.

What actually happens is that somebody from another detachment, workcenter, squadron comes and steals your sound proofing/ducting, and all the "environmental control" is directed at the transmission, thereby leaving the pilots up front to bathe in the glory of their own sweat.

Don't know the details of the CG's Jayhawk, nor have I watched the show, but it's surprising that you see that. I've seen it in other shows as well. I say that because in the Bravo, at least, in a SAR type of hover, we would turn on a switch that makes the engines work harder if needed, which turns off the ECS. I've never bothered to look at the Jayhawk collective, so not sure if they have that or not. I know the Blackhawks don't. But then again, do the Blackhawks have ECS? I've only been in a sim, so I'm not sure.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I think you are referring to the ECS air. It isnt smoke. Its usually moisture forming in the air coming out of the ECS ducts because it is so much colder than the ambient temps.

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
Don't know the details of the CG's Jayhawk, nor have I watched the show, but it's surprising that you see that.
Its impossible to miss and it looks to be pretty thick but I also noticed that it follows a perticular path through the cockpit.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
There are 2 ECS ducts mounted in front of each pilots door next to their outside knee, and 2 ducts mounted overhead on either side of the engine control quadrant. Those would be the most likely to create the vapor. The ones overhead just between/behind the pilots that blow forward also create the smoke look sometimes.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
In the Prowler, the cooled bleed air is at 32 degrees. In humid conditions at high power settings (i.e. on the cat), you can get it to snow in the cockpit if you have the ECS in full cold.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
On a good bird, you can go full IMC in the cockpit in the -60. You can also cause it to rain on the crewman in the back. Sadly, snow was never an option. I've only ever been cold once in the -60, and that was off Peru in the middle of the night during their winter.

@ZoombyU: Don't doubt it's there. I've seen other video of it in Jayhawks as well. I guess what I meant to write is that I'm surprised they have it on for all that hovering during rescues, since it pulls about 4% (I think that's what it is) torque that doesn't help you fly. Maybe because their a lot lighter, they don't worry about it.

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
I guess what I meant to write is that I'm surprised they have it on for all that hovering during rescues, since it pulls about 4% (I think that's what it is) torque that doesn't help you fly. Maybe because their a lot lighter, they don't worry about it.
They may have turned it off while they were hovering, I may have been seeing it while they were en route to the rescue.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
amatuers, our ECU blows snow in 29 plams on a 120 degree day with very low absolute humidity and oh by the way it is pumped through the seat so it blows on your back and ass.

Nice also in Korea becasue it blows warm air too. I have had to turn off the ECU sometimes because it fogged up the canopy taxiing around

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
amatuers, our ECU blows snow in 29 plams on a 120 degree day with very low absolute humidity and oh by the way it is pumped through the seat so it blows on your back and ass.

Nice also in Korea becasue it blows warm air too. I have had to turn off the ECU sometimes because it fogged up the canopy taxiing around

Hey Skid, I'm heading off to bed, but before I go, do you need me to fluff your pillow for you? Maybe tuck in your sheets? I'll leave the night light on on my way out...

Blows up your ass? Next you'll tell us you need a bidet on your next float/deployment...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Skid, I'm heading off to bed, but before I go, do you need me to fluff your pillow for you? Maybe tuck in your sheets? I'll leave the night light on on my way out...

Blows up your ass? Next you'll tell us you need a bidet on your next float/deployment...

Apparently the tax payers of this great nation have decided that Cobra pilots are important enough to spend a little more on their comfort than our less gifted rotary wing brothers. Think of it as we drive the coporate BMW while the rest of you drive the delivery trucks.

Who needs a bidet when you have baby wipes at the FARP, that and then some goldbond and life is good, well goodish

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently the tax payers of this great nation have decided that Cobra pilots are important enough to spend a little more on their comfort than our less gifted rotary wing brothers. Think of it as we drive the coporate BMW while the rest of you drive the delivery trucks.

Who needs a bidet when you have baby wipes at the FARP, that and then some goldbond and life is good, well goodish
Baby wipes, AKA "Booty-Fresh."

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The ECS in the Tomcat did the same thing. Diffusers were just over the RIO's right and left shoulders by the canopy rail. I've had white fog, snow and rain blown all over me back there. Easy to fix, just adjust the temp.

But what do we know about ops in the snow....
phil501115snow.jpg