• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HI, Just sayin Hi.

herewego

Heya,

Well I'm 21 about to be 22. I was a Navy DEP(DEPPER) for awhile as I was attending my freshman year in college. After making the Deans Honor Roll I decided to stay in college and try to become an officer rather than an enlisted man. I was an HM (Hospital Corpsman) and am still very interested in the medical field. In fact I am currently majoring in Pre-Professional Sciences or "Pre-Medical Sciences".

I can tell you alot about the enlistment process, seeing as how I have already been through most of it. But I can't tell you anything about becoming an Officer. This world is totally new to me, I would be the first from my family as a whole to complete college when I graduate. I will also be the first officer out of 3 generations of Navy Enlisted Men.

I have BIG dreams, and alot of determination. But I need guidance and direction.

Thank you, -Jeremiah
icon_lol.gif

I have got some quick questions...

1. Can anyone tell me about becoming a Medical Officer? I have searched for a little awhile with little or no luck.

2. Also, the BDCP. Anyone in it? How difficult was it to get into to? And what are Officer Communities? I think I know, but I'm not for sure.

If there are any current medical officers out there I would greatly love to talk to you! -Thanks!!!

CPENgunner

In regards to gaining a commission in the US Navy medical corps, start by looking into the Uniform Services University of Health sciences in Bethesda, MD, the HPSP (The health profession scholarship program, it provides a scholarship to attend a civilian medical school in exchange for time in service), and contacting your local NRD. Tell the officer recruiter you are interested in the medical corp and you want details regarding USUHS and HPSP. He'll refer you to a medical corp recruiter. Also, contact USUHS directly to ask about thier programs. These are good starting points.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
2. Also, the BDCP. Anyone in it? How difficult was it to get into to? And what are Officer Communities? I think I know, but I'm not for sure.

The BDCP looks for:
A good GPA
Good ASTB score
LORs that describe your quality non-academic traits
Good application package
An all-around type person, not just a bookworm or a PT stud, but a combination of both.

Officer Communities are like MOS in the Army or Marine Corps, or Ratings like Navy Enlisted (I think), which will basically dictate the type of job you do. I am currently accepted into the Supply Corps for the BDCP, so that's my community.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heya,

Well I'm 21 about to be 22. I was a Navy DEP(DEPPER) for awhile as I was attending my freshman year in college. After making the Deans Honor Roll I decided to stay in college and try to become an officer rather than an enlisted man. I was an HM (Hospital Corpsman) and am still very interested in the medical field. In fact I am currently majoring in Pre-Professional Sciences or "Pre-Medical Sciences".

I have got some quick questions...

1. Can anyone tell me about becoming a Medical Officer? I have searched for a little awhile with little or no luck.

If there are any current medical officers out there I would greatly love to talk to you! -Thanks!!!
Just a recommendation, but I wouldn't introduce yourself to folks as being an HM unless you were actually an HM. It may sound like semantics to you, but I assure it's not.

phrogpilot73

Just a recommendation, but I wouldn't introduce yourself to folks as being an HM unless you were actually an HM. It may sound like semantics to you, but I assure it's not.
Especially since it's the rate that has earned more Medals of Honor than any other in the Navy... Marines are fiercely protective of their "docs"...

There have been 22 Medal of Honor award recipients from the Hospital Corps – half of all Medals of Honor awarded to the Department of the Navy. In addition, there have been 174 Navy Crosses, 31 Distinguished Service Medals, 943 Silver Stars, and 1,553 Bronze Stars awarded to Navy Hospital corpsmen, since the establishment of the rate.

“There is no person more respected and loved by Marines than their "Doc" - their Corpsman who shares the hardship and misery of combat to save Marine lives, sometimes sacrificing their own.”
--LtGen Michael A Hough, USMC (Ret), Former Deputy Commandant for Aviation

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I was an HM (Hospital Corpsman) and am still very interested in the medical field. I can tell you alot about the enlistment process, seeing as how I have already been through most of it.

NO NO and NO. You have never been enlisted or an HM. = You know nothing about the enlistment process or working as an HM. That is what you tell people... :icon_rage

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Halo rules. Good luck. I too will be starting my BDCP soon.

Oh, and since no one said it yet, use the search function A LOT! It's amazing how much information you'll dig up.