• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

High Blood Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRM21o

My BP is usually around 140-150/70 with 60-70 pulse...I'm 19 and in good shape. Is this considered too high for flying? Could I get Nami Whammied for this? Anybody dealt with anything like this? Thanks!

rare21

pilot
Contributor
that is high, i'm in the grey zone (between good and way too high) and i'm about 138/78 i was taking medication but it was making me dizzy (dropping my blood pressure too low) which is a no no for flying. i suggest, drop salt, sodium, eat more fruit, get your heart rate up real high at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes, dont smoke, decrease alcohol and stay healthy. i had high blood pressure at 140 on top so 150 seems way too high.

CLAM97to99

I am the opposite. My blood pressure runs way low. I donate plasma for extra cash and they send me away regularly because my BP is to low to donate. I don't remeber exactly but it something like 97/53. I could be wrong but I remeber the 1st one is under 100.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
the low BP is bad for pulling Gs. you most likely will be getting sick out there flying. when i was taking my meds and i was getting dizzy due to low BP (this was low for me 124/76) i was feeling sick just being under the bag going straight and level and during real calm climbs and descents.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Yeah, my latest physical was like 115/67, and the flight doc yelled at me to start drinking more beer and eating more pizza...

Ahh, the things we do for our country...

CLAM97to99

Dang I had better start drinking some serious soda!!

And remember rare21 "Bruce Dickenson.....puts his pants on just like the rest of you guys one leg at a time . Except for once my pants are on I make gold records."

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
150 is high but not quite as bad as some here have made it out to be. The info I have read is that BP can vary as much as 30 points over a very short period of time, hence why if you test high they test you over several days after that to determine BP. All the Navy and AF medical people I have delt with have told me it is common to have a studs BP jump 30-40 points during exams in flight school simply b/c of worry of getting NPQ'd b/c of it. Best thing to do is relax and breath deep while they are taking it and absolutley be sure your arm is at or above your heart level, else the readings will be higher that they really are.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It seems to me that whenever a corpsman measures my blood pressure, it's higher than it otherwise is. I have a sneaking suspicion they don't always do it right . . .

What is good blood pressure? I know mine was like 120/60 and I'm 18, so what is optimal... I have to achieve it :)

Also, this is advice I guess; relax as much as you can. I had my physical at the end of summer after countless parties (I was sort of out of shape), and when they took my heart-rate, etc I was really relaxed, I mean I was almost asleep and my heart rate was in the low 50's. Then, during the school year I was really nervous about a game after school, I was in peak physical shape, and I was bored as hell in class, so I took my pulse several times and I kept ending up around 65-70.

In conclusion, relax, no better yet, sleep.

Bud, I do seem to recall that the NAMI regs gave an upper limit of 140 for the "high" number(systolic? don't remember what it's called).

I had 160 once and was freaked.

If for some odd reason you want to RAISE your bp, eat any of those cup of noodle thingies. I know one had like 350mg of sodium. I also remember one with about 200% DV sodium. And I had 2-3 that day. I swear I was drinking a glass of water and pissing it out every half hour that day. That #### is legalized slow poison.

CLAM97to99

They did it different here. The guys that had blood pressure too high they just kept taking it through out the day with the machine until it got below the high limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.