• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

High Year Tenure question

Ex Rigger

pilot
I am about to be commissioned in two weeks. Have 7 years in service so far. Does my time as far as high year tenure goes start fresh once I commission? Phrased another way, can I potentially stay in 37 years if I haven't been passed for promotion (not that this is what would happen or what I would do) or would my 7 years count against me when it comes time for me to be forced out? In essence, if I'm at or past the twenty year mark and have not made a certain rank could they potentially make me retire due to my enlisted service? I know this sounds kinda complicated but maybe one of you guys knows what I'm talking about.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's a good question, and one I don't completely know the answer to, but let me give it a shot. My understanding of high year tenure is a manpower issue. We have too many people in a rate that aren't moving up fast enough, so we're cutting the fat. The officer pool doesn't really work that way...or maybe it does, just in a different way.

For officers, you stay in as long as you don't get passed over too many times (3 for O-4, I think, and 2 for O-5). Of course you have to accept taking the crappy jobs and hardfills, and you may not get back into the cockpit, but until you meet the cutoff point, you can stay (to an extent). So basically, as an O-1 w/ 0, you could stay in for 20 as long as you made O-4. Then it's time to get out. I'm simplifying things here, and I'm sure some of the hinges can add their two cents, but I guess the short answer is "I don't think you have to worry."

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
hey Norman! Im an SNFO and I commission in 3 wks. Have u received orders to P'cola yet? or are they having u do IFS in tx? Im still waiting on my orders *sigh

Also, did u know a girl named Nicole (cant remember last name for the life of me)? She went to A&M and got picked up for Nuke instructor a couple months ago. Anyways, just thought id ask.

Ex Rigger

pilot
Nope, haven't gotten orders yet but they are being cut on Monday and should be put in the message traffic sometime soon after that....I more than likely will be doing IFS here thankfully. By the way, my last name isn't Norman. Used to be but it was changed for family reasons awhile back...Wish I could get my ID changed from normanja211....I'm sure I'll see ya down in Pensacola. Are they having you guys do IFS there?

I don't think your allowed to post names on here...I did it once and it got removed but as far as that girl I don't think I know her. There are a ton of midshipmen and we stay pretty segregated from the regular mids here (at least while I was here I think that might change) and the only time I really get to know a mid is if they are a fifth year or a stashed ensign.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
normanja211 said:
I am about to be commissioned in two weeks. Have 7 years in service so far. Does my time as far as high year tenure goes start fresh once I commission? Phrased another way, can I potentially stay in 37 years if I haven't been passed for promotion (not that this is what would happen or what I would do) or would my 7 years count against me when it comes time for me to be forced out? In essence, if I'm at or past the twenty year mark and have not made a certain rank could they potentially make me retire due to my enlisted service? I know this sounds kinda complicated but maybe one of you guys knows what I'm talking about.
I'm in that same boat - here's the deal. All of the statutory limitations on how long an officer can stay in at a particular grade are based on the date of commissioning. So, although you would be able to retire at 20/30 if you were so inclined, a person with prior enlisted time would be able to stay in longer if desired, up to that statutory limit. I don't know all the specifics, but I think 20 years is the limit for O-4, but if you haven't made O-5 by 20, then you've got bigger issues.

Brett

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
USC, Title 10....Sect 632 says
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode10/usc_sec_10_00000632----000-.html

In other words, if you are a 2X FOS and you are within two years of retirement (the 20 year mark), they may keep you on to finish out your retirement. If not within two years of retirement, you will be discharged NLT the 1st day of the 7th month following POTUS signature which gives you subsequent notice of your 2X FOS

Sect 633 says....

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode10/usc_sec_10_00000633----000-.html

If you are an O-5 and FOS to O-6, USN may keep you until you complete 28 years active commissioned service.

I seem to remember BUPERS changing these rules a bit over the past year or so...but, can find no such reference.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
I believe the above is mostly correct. My first Skipper retired from the command with 40 years total service. He enlisted, made it all the way to CPO, then got the commission and stayed for about 28 more years. He retired an O-6 with seven command billets. I don't think he would have been able to stay that long if he had not made O-6. (I should qualify that. He may have been allowed to stay after FOS for O-6, but I think the Navy could have retired him had they wanted to.) Bottom line, if you keep moving up, You should be able to stay something like 28+7 years.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
holy crap 40 years is a long time! And I thought my friend's dad who had 32 years was in long.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard a story about some old crusty CWO that had managed almost 50 years. I don't know the details, or even if it's true, could be urban legend.

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
feddoc said:
USC, Title 10....Sect 632 says
In other words, if you are a 2X FOS and you are within two years of retirement (the 20 year mark), they may keep you on to finish out your retirement. I seem to remember BUPERS changing these rules a bit over the past year or so...but, can find no such reference.
Close. If you have 18 years of service (it might be as low as 16 years, they were talking about changing it when I retired in 1998), they HAVE to keep you until 20 or retire you regardless of rank - this is law. If you are 2X FOS and an O-4 with less than 18 years of service, you can request continuation until eligible for retirement. The Navy policy is to grant continuation unless you are a real dirtbag and give them a reason not to.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
Close. If you have 18 years of service (it might be as low as 16 years, they were talking about changing it when I retired in 1998), they HAVE to keep you until 20 or retire you regardless of rank - this is law. If you are 2X FOS and an O-4 with less than 18 years of service, you can request continuation until eligible for retirement. The Navy policy is to grant continuation unless you are a real dirtbag and give them a reason not to.
Yeah, things get kind of touchy when it looks like they're gonna cheat you out of a retirement. There are all kinds of rules about that for ADSEP matters as well.

Brett

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Wow, I didn't know they added enlisted time to tenures. I'll have a tad over 13 years enlisted by the time I'm commissioned this December...so theoretically, I could do 43 years in the good ol' USN! Hmmm... :eek:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nfo2b said:
Wow, I didn't know they added enlisted time to tenures. I'll have a tad over 13 years enlisted by the time I'm commissioned this December...so theoretically, I could do 43 years in the good ol' USN! Hmmm... :eek:
They don't add it, they subtract it - you start over.

Brett