• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hippie Tree Huggers

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Looks like the Sierra Club is at it again... but hey... who cares about national defense???

CNN said:
Judge Bars Navy Sonar Use in Hawaii war Games

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A federal judge issued a temporary restraining order Monday barring the Navy from using a type of sonar, allegedly harmful to marine mammals, during a Pacific warfare exercise scheduled to begin this week.

From: http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/07/03/sonar.whales.ap/index.html

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like the Sierra Club is at it again... but hey... who cares about national defense???

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/07/03/sonar.whales.ap/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A federal judge issued a temporary restraining order Monday barring the Navy from using a type of sonar, allegedly harmful to marine mammals, during a Pacific warfare exercise scheduled to begin this week.

I'd be very surprised if that ruling stands. A higher bench will overturn it and we'll be able to blast away at the SONAR. :D If those marine mammals are so smart, how come they don't get out of the way when the pinging starts? I'm sure they're too busy building hospitals and freeways on the sea floor to pick up a newspaper.

Brett

snort

Banned
medium freq? everyone knows the good stuff is vla!
Yeah, but, the SC wants to stop this exercise, and most of the stuff would be '"mid-frequency active sonar." So, they win in court and it looks good to all their contributors.

@Brett: Yup, I'd be amazed if this is not overturned. It would set a bad precedent.

Huggy Bear

pilot
Yeah, but why do we need sonar around Hawaii. It's not like anyone would ever think of attacking there.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can someone explain to me why this judge has any power over the Navy in this matter?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Germans?

Forget it, he's rolling.
That keen insight was first promoted on the silver screen --- as a theory --- by this statesman:

st3256.jpg
animalhouse.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Expanded "details" on the original story .... :
Tuesday, July 4, 200
Judge bars "shrill" Navy sonar
Temporary order issued in suit seeking to protect whales, porpoises
By ROBERT McCLURE
P-I REPORTER
The Navy is forbidden to use an intense form of sonar -- known to have spooked Puget Sound orcas in the past -- during combat exercises this month in the Pacific, a federal judge ruled Monday.
Environmentalists suing to halt the sonar use offered "considerable convincing scientific evidence" that the exercise would harm or even kill whales, porpoises and other marine creatures, U.S. District Judge Florence-Marie Cooper ruled in Los Angeles in granting a temporary restraining order.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/276375_whales04.html

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Temporary Restraining Order Lifted for Sonar Activities in RIMPAC

I'd be very surprised if that ruling stands.

Brett

you are good....

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- The temporary restraining order that prevented the U.S. Navy from using mid-frequency active sonar during the 2006 Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise has been lifted following successful negotiations between Navy and the plaintiffs.

story