• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

History of Navy Officer Training?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
ROTC was established in 1926 and the Academy in 1845; their stories are fairly accessible. I'm looking for the history of OCS (or whatever they called it in its first conception), how and where midshipman apprenticeship OJT fits in, and requirements and training for officers throughout the Navy's history in general.

These are the kinds of questions I'm trying to answer:
1881, Joe Schmoe college-grad decides he wants to become a Naval Officer. How does he do it?

1776, Jim Schmoe (minimal boating experience) wants to join the Continental Navy as an officer? Can he? If so, how? What kind of training does he recieve, if any?

Where can I find this type of information?

EDIT: Fixed the typo on USNA date.

Beefalo

USNA midshipmen had to do a sea tour of 1 or 2 years before they got commissioned pre 1912 or somewhere around the early 20th century.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
gatordev said:
Small detail, but I believe the USNA was 1845.
Yeah..'twas 1845.

In the beginning, (between 1845 and 19-when ROTC started), all Naval Officers were products of the Academy.

The way it used to be: Mids would go to USNA for a couple years for classes on shiphandling, navigation, tactics and leadership. They would then be assigned to a Naval vessel as a midshipman. Upon the CO's reccomendation, the Mid would return to USNA to take an examination and be commissioned as a "passed midshipman" and return to the fleet and server his time.

Kings Point (merchant marine academy) still sorta follows this a little bit... Mids there do like a year at sea then take the CG exam to get thier merchant quals.

Before USNA... you just had to know the right people.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
mules83 said:
who wants to take bets to see where this thread is going
that has already fired up somewhere else i believe.

Thanks for all the info guys.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
In the Continental Navy as Thebubba pointed out, alot was who you knew and if you could purchase a commission; or like today's Navy if you had special skills you were also an officer: doctors, most notably.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Any one know where I can find the history of Navy OCS? (The Marines have plenty of info on theirs... :))

In the meantime, if I find anything of note, I'll be sure to post it.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
Good question,
The Navy has so much history and tradition for us to be proud of, but unfortunately much of it is unknown to most Sailors. Personally, this is something I hope the Navy will someday put some effort into changing. Thanks for looking into this.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
eddie said:
... I'm looking for the history of OCS (or whatever they called it in its first conception), how and where midshipman apprenticeship OJT fits in, and requirements and training for officers throughout the Navy's history in general.

Newport RI has some interesting tidbits. OCS was established early in the Korean War at Newport, moved to Pensacola, and now is headed back to Newport. See link: http://www.nsnpt.navy.mil/history.htm#early .

:)