• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hornet cat launch program

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
During an evening of drinking and solving the world's problems, a buddy of mine (Delta 737 driver) was asking me about the launch procedures for a Hornet off the boat. We speculated but had not the real answer..

So my question to you Hornet guys and gals - could you describe how your machine knows it's about to be shot off the pointy end? What setting in your checklist allows you to take your right hand off the stick after saluting and grabbing the handle on the canopy bow - and knowing your jet will program to the correct attitude after launch?

Thanks!

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
UInavy said:
Its all preset FCS (trim) settings tailored to your specific configuration (i.e. weight, CG, assymmetry, etc.) Make your settings for each control surface match what the book says for your specific configuration and.....Bang! it flys away using PFM!

PFM, I love that stuff! I first ran across it over a decade ago when I was qualifying submarines. I have relied on it many times since then in aviation, especially in more complex systems. It is good to see that the Hornet community utilizes it as well. I think the P3 community doubts its existence!

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
You don't want to be the Marine RAG student that put both hands on the towel racks and wondered why his throttles kept coming back on the shot.