• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How concerned should I be about aircraft placement depending on the “needs of the navy?”

Status
Not open for further replies.

HornetEnjoyer

I am considering both Navy and Air Force OCS/OTS, but genuinely think that the operations of the Navy suit my interests more (I love the ocean, I love the possibilities for traveling, and aircraft carrier ops amaze me). If I can pass a flight physical, I believe I could succeed in either branch as a pilot. Ideally, I’d like to be a fighter pilot, but I realize that could very well not be an option and I am willing to fly just about any aircraft for the military.

Obviously, the Air Force provides greater opportunities for placement as a fighter pilot, and a greater home life, but I feel drawn to the navy for some reason. To me, the only major downside in the navy is being away from home more.

That being said, a major issue I hear from Navy pilots is that the airframe you get after primary flight school is dependent on the needs of the navy. This means I could be number one in my class and still not get a fighter slot if no one chose to retire that time around. This is discouraging, but I still feel very drawn to the navy. My question is, how concerned should I be with getting screwed over by the needs of the navy and not getting my airframe of choice? How likely would that situation be to happen with no fighter slots being open?

I would be happy with E-2/C-2s, E-6bs, P-8s, helicopters, p-3s, etc. but would love to fly an f-18/EA-18 ideally as it is my favorite aircraft.

(One last thing, I am a year off from getting my bachelors and am currently working on my OAR/ASTB and TBAS/AFOQT).

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Generally: highly dependent on needs of the Navy except if you’re number 1 they will get you your spot 9.9 times out of 10.

Your understanding on it being based on people retiring is wrong - it’s not that in a direct way - but it is dependent on… well the needs or the Navy.

Good luck finishing up school.

I have to think USAF fighter/bomber slots are equally as challenging to get.

HornetEnjoyer

Makes sense. Obviously I will strive to be first in my class and my prior flight experience will hopefully help me throughout the training. I just figured that maybe since the Air Force has more aircraft it might be a little less difficult to get a fighter but you are probably right.

Thanks!

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Makes sense. Obviously I will strive to be first in my class and my prior flight experience will hopefully help me throughout the training. I just figured that maybe since the Air Force has more aircraft it might be a little less difficult to get a fighter but you are probably right.

Thanks!
Also have more people in training…

Fallonflyr

pilot
Just flew with an Air Force guy that spent his first 5 years after flight school flying drones…so there is that.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Obviously, the Air Force provides greater opportunities for placement as a fighter pilot, and a greater home life, but I feel drawn to the navy for some reason. To me, the only major downside in the navy is being away from home more.

That being said, a major issue I hear from Navy pilots is that the airframe you get after primary flight school is dependent on the needs of the navy. This means I could be number one in my class and still not get a fighter slot if no one chose to retire that time around.
“Greater home life…” No. The Zoomies deploy on different timelines than the Navy but the reality is that an aviator in any service, and any aircraft community, especially as a junior officer, is gone a lot. If being home is your number-one life priority (and there’s nothing wrong with that if it is), than life as a combat-arms military officer is not the best fit for you.

Similarly, the “needs of the service” is going to dominate your life/career as a JO no matter what you do. And as @DanMa1156 said, who retires or doesn‘t has nothing to do with it (I mean, it kinda does, but not in any way that makes any real difference to a kid finishing flight school). Bottom line is if you want to be a military officer you will have to be okay with accepting what the service happens to need that week.

I’m closing this thread out because, nothing personal, but your questions are very basic ones that have been asked literally hundreds of times and it doesn't add anything to start yet another thread. AWs has been around for a minute. We have a lot of old-timers that started posting as a cone and are now sharing advice about their retirement process. Take the time to dig around here and you’ll find decades of accumulated wisdom (and ready room bullshit, both are useful) offering sage advice to 20+ years of aspiring Naval aviators. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.