• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How crucial is math?

Status
Not open for further replies.

partyfoul

I am terrible at math unless I study my butt off. How big of a disadvantage does this put me at if I want to be a fighter pilot?

Also how do I know if I want to be a fighter pilot? I have watched topgun since I was a little boy. I know its fiction but I thought I have always wanted to be a fighter pilot. However If I am not flying fighters I do not want to be flying.

I think I might be over glorifying the idea of being a fighter pilot in my mind but I am not sure. I have no interest in commercial aviation either.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I am terrible at math unless I study my butt off. How big of a disadvantage does this put me at if I want to be a fighter pilot?

Also how do I know if I want to be a fighter pilot? I have watched topgun since I was a little boy. I know its fiction but I thought I have always wanted to be a fighter pilot. However If I am not flying fighters I do not want to be flying.

I think I might be over glorifying the idea of being a fighter pilot in my mind but I am not sure. I have no interest in commercial aviation either.

Hahaha. I have no idea if this post should be taken seriously or not. How old are you?

If so, no, math is not that important from what I've gathered.

You're the only person that knows if you want to be a fighter pilot, Mav.

Oh and good luck if (when) you're selected for helicopters or P-3's.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Unless you would be okay with flying other than jet aircraft you are not interested in flying and you do not want to be a pilot.

It is A-Okay to have a dream, and to not settle for less than your dreams, but take "fighter pilot" completely out of your vocabuulary and replace it with "Naval Aviator" and see how that fits for awhile.

AOBTW...I have some of this handy...
258troll_spray.jpg

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
"Mental Math for Pilots" is a book that is really cheap if you want to see 'pilot math' check it out sometime. For some reason my flight curriculum in college included Calculus. I've only encountered calculus once in flight, ATC was bored and asked my instructor and I the derivative of 15X^2 (No joke).

I can't speak for Naval Aviation but there is not difficult math involved on the civilian side.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
You don't need much math to be a pilot, but Top Gun is a must. In fact to be accepted to jets you must take a board convened every April in Millington, TN where you and a partner reenact the volleyball scene...and if you want F/A you have to do the shower scene extemporaneously...
Pickle

cmhumphr

CuMhUmPeR
If you were considering NROTC, you will need at least two semesters of Calculus and Calculus based physics so I think you need to be pretty sharp in mathematics.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Or you can get a degree in Animal Science, a D+ in Business Math (fuckin' matrices) and go to OCS. You don't need to be a Rocket Surgeon to be a pilot...see above my avatar for proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.