• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How Do I make a decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrenaline Rush

I'm really conflicted now..just being rejected from the navy, i thought it would be simple just go marines...but i know that if i retake the astb and do well i should be able to get into the navy, whats more the navy has the bdcp program if i got it (and a big if) that could be some serious cash to pay for all my flight time now (my degree requires a certified flight insructor certificate),, on the other hand there is the marines, the main attraction for the marines is that it is such an honor to be a marine officer, there are people from yale, harvard, who become a marine officer even though they could have a higher paying job in the civilian world...it is just so special to be a marine officer it seems to me.. the navy recruiter has made it perfectly clear he will not submit my application if i plan to apply for the marines, whereas the marine recruiter doesnt care if i apply navy or not.....now this dilemna is the kind of thing that will make me lose sleep (pathetic i know) ,, but how would you guys go about making a decision???

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
You have some bad misconceptions.

It is an honor to be an officer in ANY branch. What's so special about Yale and Harvard? Are they the only schools that can get you a "higher paying job in the civilian world?" Do you think Yale and Harvard graduates are that much better than anyone else? For that matter, do you think that no Yale and Harvard graduates pursue commissions in other branches? Ask a newly commisioned O-1 in another branch if he doesn't think it is "special" to be an officer.

That being said, it seems strange that your USN recruiter wouldn't resubmit your package - unless he also perceives that maybe you have misconceptions about this whole process.

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

ghost_ttu

You can always tell the recruiter to hand your package over to you and you can go to another recruiter. My recruiter not only told me that I can apply with the Air Force at the same time, but told me that with him being an aviator it's all about where you can get in and what mission you want. He said that if I did get into the Navy and the AF offered me a slot later that I could leave and go to them as long as I haven't graduated OCS. You just need to explain to the Navy guy that you are not comfortable putting all your eggs in one basket, and if that doesn't work, don't tell him you have applied with the Marines, it is none of his business anyway.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

tali264

I would say forget about the recruiter aspects. Those shouldn't enter into your decision. Why did you apply with the Navy and not the Marines to start with? There must have been a reason. So what has changed since then? Possibly you have learned more information? You think your chances of getting in are better with the Marines? Weigh your options. Deep down inside I bet you know what you really want.

Good luck with the decision.

tali264

Oh....and I also agree with Grandmaster. No one joins the military for the money. I'm sure most people could earn better salaries in the civilian world. Well at least all the engineers could, I can't speak for anyone else. And as for ivy league grads, they aren't anything special. They may have been born with more money, but we all go to college and get degrees. Some just pay more for it.

Beth

Adrenaline Rush

whoa grandmaster..i was not saying that being a naval officer isnt special or not on the caliber of the branches..also i was just making a statement about yale/harvard grads,, it really says something that a person who has attended an ivy league school which is generally catered to setting a person up to be successful in the civilan world chooses become a military officer..the comment i made about the marines being special,, well i say that because : they are the smallest of the branches so they are most likely a closer knit group, they are the most physically demanding, the most ceremonious, and they tend to do things differently than the other services. Furthermore grandmaster i dont know why you decided to get all up on your horse, i am just a young invidual who is confused as to which direction i want to go in....as for the reason i chose navy first,, my boss was ex-naval aviator and hearing his glory stories persuaded me to go navy

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
You're assumptions about being a Marine Officer are correct Adrenaline. While it is and should be an honor to be an officer in any branch of the service, in my biased opinion, it is leaps and bounds more prestigious and self-gratifying to be a Marine Officer.

We can all sit here and tell you what we "think" you should do, but no one can decide that but yourself. If being an aviator is the only concern of yours, then yes you should keep your options open. I think you're Navy OSO may not be acting as professional about this as he/she should be. But, let me tell you this. DO NOT apply to the Marines unless you are positive that is what you want. It takes a special attitude to strive in the type of environment you would be subjected to with the Marines. If you are not into it whole-heartedly, you'll be in for a long, miserable career.

Status
Not open for further replies.