• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do you get a certain college for ROTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

slitsoul

I've been researching on this topic, but I'm still a little confused. Let's say I wanted to join the NROTC located at UCLA, do I apply for the national scholarship, then asks them to put me in the UCLA unit? What if I only get into one school that offers NROTC, will they put me there no matter what? How do you get into the school you really want, is it based on best applicants get first choice or does everyone pretty much get what they want?Another question I have is about cross-town affiliate schools. If I wanted to go to SDSU, is there a batallian located at SDSU or would I have to travel to UCSD or USD for the courses or training? Thanks for clearing this up for me.

litreofcola

I was stashed at my NROTC unit for a couple weeks in the summer after I was commisioned and I helped out the LT in charge of Incoming Freshman, we had a spreadsheet from NETC on who had accepted 4-year scholarships and was attending our University's NROTC Unit. On that spreadsheet was every Freshmans top three choices of schools and more often than not the University that the Navy was sending them to was not in their top three. I do not know how they decide on who goes where, this is Just FYI

If you really have a University and NROTC Unit that you want to attend and participate in, then do the college program for a year and do really well (Grades,Physical Fitness and Military Aptitude) and you will be very competitive to pick up a scholarship to that University where you are enrolled as a college programmer.(I took this route coming out of high school because i wasnt that competitive and it worked out great, if you have any questions send me a private message).

If you are really set on going to school in SOCAL, check out all the different NROTC Units (there are plenty in the area UCLA, USC, SDSU) there so you can get some Idea of the caliber of the Unit. Not all units are Created Equal, some are bigger some are smaller, the quality of training is different and Some Units Facilities are Nicer than others.

Get a list of Units you are interested in and call and explain your situation to the Recruiting officer (it will be one of the LT's on Staff) and they will hook you up with good info. Arrange a meeting with the Recruiting LT when you go and visit the University and get a tour of the NROTC Unit.

slitsoul

about college choices

just as an example, what if i only apply to my top 3 college choices that offer ROTC, wouldn't they have to put me in one of those 3? will they send you to an ROTC unit / school that you did not apply for, how could they do this? I guess what i am asking is, don't you have to get the scholarship and get into the school? Do they require you to apply to many schools that offer ROTC then? The only reason I ask is that I would be trying to get a 2 year scholarship, not a 4. So I need to know the transfer requirements of a certain school I wish to get into. Are the amount of 2 year scholarships available based on how many 4 year's drop out or do they save room for 2 year scholarship students to enter? Is it easier to get into the school of your choice if you recieve a 2 year? thanks for all your help

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Hmm. I only applied to my first choice for NROTC and luckily got it. The Navy gave me my first choice off the bat. Granted this was over 4 years ago, but I would be surprised if they didn't let you go to any of your first 3 choices. Hopefully you get your first choice.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
slitsoul said:
just as an example, what if i only apply to my top 3 college choices that offer ROTC, wouldn't they have to put me in one of those 3? will they send you to an ROTC unit / school that you did not apply for, how could they do this? I guess what i am asking is, don't you have to get the scholarship and get into the school? Do they require you to apply to many schools that offer ROTC then? The only reason I ask is that I would be trying to get a 2 year scholarship, not a 4. So I need to know the transfer requirements of a certain school I wish to get into. Are the amount of 2 year scholarships available based on how many 4 year's drop out or do they save room for 2 year scholarship students to enter? Is it easier to get into the school of your choice if you recieve a 2 year? thanks for all your help

Something to know about the navy early on. It is not what you want, it is where they need you. Most of the time the proverbial "they" will try to get you what you want. Just remember you may be one of a thousand guys applying to that school. It is a nation wide scholarship. All that being said:

I had plenty of time to apply to the college I picked as my first choice for NROTC after I got accepted. If you can get a full ride scholarship it is a real good chance you can get into a school.

Status
Not open for further replies.