• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long are helmets good for?

MasterBates

Airwarriors,

It came up in another thread about liners that helmets may have a finite service life.

Does anyone know how long a HGU-68 (current Jet/E2 helmet) is good for, and is it based off of it's date of manufacture, date in service, etc.. Being styrofoam, they do eventually break down.

I know torso harnesses have a finite (but long) life. I think mine is good thru retirement if I don't break it/use it in the meantime.

I'm just curious if they PRs overlooked that when I checked in, because I've had this helmet since 2001, and it was used when I got it.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I don't have an official answer/source but I've never heard of a helmet having a service life. Unless it gets cracked or possibly repeatedly dropped/banged up, it should be good.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't have an official answer/source but I've never heard of a helmet having a service life. Unless it gets cracked or possibly repeatedly dropped/banged up, it should be good.

I've had mine since '99. It gets inspected at regular intervals and replaced or repaired as necesary.

Brett

jwac85

FY-11 STA-21 Pilot Applicant
As a PR CDI, I can tell you that there is no service life on a helmet or the styrofoam liner. It is servicable until either cracks. Also, if the helmet has been drilled too many times for mask receivers, then it is at the discretion of the PR CDI whether it is servicable anymore. This is what the manual says:
Inspect helmet shell assembly for splits, cracks,
chips, and delamination. Replace helmet shell assembly​
if damage is deemed extensive.

Hope this helps.

p1brule

Frenchy
pilot
That was refreshing. I thought for sure this thread was going to jump into a speculative mess. Thanks for the response jwac. I was wondering about the helmets as well.

FlyinRock

You bring up a good point. My helmet is a custom Kevlar and was relined at about 4000 hours. It has flown at least another 4000 hrs since then. It has never been cracked but it does have lots of nicks in the paint from banging against the sides of the cockpit or banging into things when I was outside the aircraft. I would not hesitate to wear it for any flights today.
I'm sure the helmet would take a lot more beating than my thick skull and certainly cheaper than neurosurgery? When was the last time the nape or chin strap was replaced? They get eaten by body acids and oils and will fail if you don't treat them well.
As noted, if there have been a lot of holes drilled, it certainly degrades the integrity. If it has been abused I would not trust my life to it just as with any other survival gear. A helmet is rather personal, and so is my head! I paid nearly a grand for mine back about 20 years ago with all the avionics and attachments.
Semper Fi
Rocky

Renegade One

None
TACAIR helmet configurations must have settled down somewhat since my active flying days. Think every time I went to a new squadron (and sometimes during the tour), some new-fangled "better form-fit design" came along and we al got new helmets. Wow...can't believe some of you are getting 10 years and over 8000 hours on the same brain-bucket.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
From the Gentex HGU-68/P page ( www.gentexcorp.com/default.aspx?pageid=857 )... they have some documentation on that site.

Here is the actual Operation & Maintenance Manual for the Gentex HGU-68/P Helmet Assembly: www.gentexcorp.com/assets/gentex/Aircrew/AircrewTechPubs/TP0126r1%5B1%5D.pdf

Chapter 3 is Maintenance and may have what you are looking for.

You can also contact the guys in charge of the helmets at Gentex directly (Mark Jones & Quinn Wester) and ask them directly. Quinn, I believe, is a former Navy PR. I've spoken with them both in the past and they are both very friendly and helpful.

Their numbers and e-mail addresses are here: www.gentexcorp.com/default.aspx?pageid=1724
Mark Jones (Product Manager): (570) 282-8504

Quinn Wester: (570) 282-8505​

darrylcn

Is there any kind of limit on helmets as far as time? Do squads keep track of who got a new one and when? I would have thought so but from reading this thread it doesn't sound like it.

I'm glad they last for a long time. I realize I might attract some flack for this, but I'm glad my VF-142 HGU-55 will still be in its good condition for a long time yet. I figure it must be from the early 90's based on my knowledge of USN stuff, but I could be wrong. As usual, a thread here has piqued my interest. Our airshow's coming up and there's finally supposed to be an F/A-18E/F there, so I'm more ramped up than usual about jets.

MasterBates

There is a date of manufacture sticker in my helmet 8/99 (I think, it's that or 9/98) and it's in my NATOPS jacket when it was issued to me. HOWEVER, it came with no paperwork for it's previous life. I was issued it used.

I know motorcycle helmets are supposed to be relaced every 5-10 years due to foam breakdown, even if not dropped/used.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Also, if the foam liner (across the forehead) starts to fray and come apart you have to get a new helmet (because of a FOD hazard I guess?). It happened to me.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
When asked about this, Mark Jones from Gentex said that there is no "expiration" per se... just condition dependent. (i.e. if you just banged it on the side of canopy, you should be fine... but if it were dropped from the height of the canopy rail to the deck... the shell should be thoroughly inspected for cracks, delaminations, warping, etc...).

There is, however, some mention about inspecting it every 90 days regardless (and how to do it) in the manual....

From the PDF posted previously (hopefully this doesn't violate "copyright"...):

3-1 GENERAL
Proper care and use of the HGU-68/P helmet assembly is essential to ensure optimum performance during emergencies and outline operations. Repairs or other maintenance action required shall be performed by organizational level or above upon issue and at least every 90 days thereafter.​
3-2 INSPECTION
Preflight/Postflight Inspection. The Preflight and Postflight Inspection is a visual inspection performed by the aircrew member to whom the helmet assembly is issued before/after each flight. To perform the helmet assembly inspection, visually inspect for the general over all condition of the helmet assembly. Refer to paragraph 3-2.2.
NOTE
Defects or questionable areas noted during this inspection shall be referred to the proper maintenance activity for required corrective action.

3-2.1 Calendar Inspection
The Calendar Inspection shall be conducted every 90 days at the organizational level and shall consist of a visual inspection, a functional check, and a thorough cleaning of the helmet assembly.
3-2.2 Visual Inspection
To visually inspect the helmet assembly, proceed as follows:

1. Inspect the chin/nape strap assembly for loose or broken stitching, snap fastener retention, and fraying.
  2. Inspect the helmet shell assembly for splits, cracks, chips, and delamination.
  3. Inspect the MK-634/AIC cable clip (if used) for security to the helmet. See Figure 3-1 on Page 3-6.
  4. Inspect the visor assembly components for cracks, splits, and chips; inspect the lenses for scratches and cracks.
  5. Inspect the edgeroll for rips, tears, splits, or loosening from the helmet shell.
  6. Inspect the communication cables and cordsets for cut, split, or abraded insulation.
  7. Inspect the earcups for proper installation in the earpads.
  8. Inspect the earpads for pliability.
  9. Inspect all hard ware for damage and security of attachment. Tighten or replace as necessary.
  10. Inspect the oxygen mask receivers for proper function and retention to the helmet shell assembly.
NOTE
Defects determined from this inspection shall be referred to the proper maintenance activity for required corrective action.

Lawman

None
Heres a question that came up after talking with Casey about our gear vs your gear...

Any Navy/Marine Communitys out there using CEP's? Im not a fan since they wont spend the money on the custom ear plugs here at the school house and they cause discomfort but a lot of the older IPs with thousands of hours of hearing loss swear by them.

MasterBates

I had CEPs when I checked into Kingsville, they yanked it out saying "students don't rate these" and never put them back in.

RAG don't have the money for them, so I spend a lot of my time going "what the hell did approach just say??".

I liked having them. I'm deaf enough that I cannot wear earplugs and actually hear the radios. So I go earplugless.

I like CEPs and want them back.