• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How old is too old?

Strata

Hello every, my father was in the Navy for 28 years. I haven't spoken with him yet but I am seriously contemplating joining the Navy. But to be honest with you all, I really would like to join as an Officer. That may not be possible as I am now 28 years of age with only an Associates Degree in Electrical Engineering Technology. I gained that degree at ITT Tech and did it with a 3.8 GPA. I also go to college and have a 3.5 GPA. But I'm going there for a degree in History. While I can see myself being a History teacher I can also see myself serving in the Navy. My questions to you all are:

Is 28 too old to become an Officer? (I really don't want to simply enlist.)

Do I have the qualifications to become an Officer? I heard you need a BA to become an Officer.

If the answers are No and Yes, what must I do?

Should I simply call a recruiter and see what can be done? (Seems obvious) ^^

I want to end this by saying that I have the upmost respect for the Navy. I know in my heart that I should have joined or applied for the Academy after Highschool. I can easily see myself serving as an Officer and doing well.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
28 is too old to become an aviator but there are other programs that have higher age limits. Your recruiter is definitely your best bet, but you'll find a lot of great info around here too. But yeah talk to a recruiter (make sure it's an OFFICER RECRUITER not enlisted) and finish that degree ASAP.

Strata

So I do need a BA to become an Officer? And when you said finish the degree, did you mean going back and getting a BA in EET or History from college?

Yeah, I figured I'd be too old for Aviation. My father was a Senior Chief who served on a carrier as an AE. I would like to do something that works with computers and tech as I'm already very good with that sort of work. I'm reading through various websites on specific jobs right now actually.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Strata,
That's exactly what he meant. You need to have a BA or BS to get a commission. WHy not finish the EET.. you've already got a significant amount of credits under your belt.

Strata

Strata,
That's exactly what he meant. You need to have a BA or BS to get a commission. WHy not finish the EET.. you've already got a significant amount of credits under your belt.

I went to the school to see how long it would take for me to get my BS. They said 19 months because they changed some of the requirements. If I start during the next quarter it won't be till March. So I won't finish till the end of 2008. I'll have just turned 30 by then. ><

I'll have to give this some serious thought.

Thanks for all the help. I sincerely appreciate it.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Your college needs to be Regionally accredited as well.

30 is not too old to be accepted as an Officer. In fact, you may be able to get the BDCP program if you are still a Junior.

BackOrdered

Contributor
He should definitely check out the BDCP program. Are you currently enrolled in a 4 year university?