• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Huey refuses to die!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Some things are just built and designed right from the start and endure the test of time- the M1911 pistol, the Big Mac, Ford Mustangs, and the Huey.

The Air Force just started taking delivery of completely refurbed zero time TH-1H Huey's. These aircraft will be used for AF helo track training - and are UH-1H airframes with zero timed airframes, dynamics from the UH-1N (new), all glass cockpit (nothing but the best for our AF brethren), upgraded new production engine, etc.

Not a bad looking bird:

051107-f-2907c-207.jpg

The AF thinks they can get 10 years out of this new airframe. I think it's utterly amazing. Long live the Huey!

US Helicopter Delivers First TH-1H Helicopter to USAF
Bell Helicopter Textron
Mon, 14 Nov 2005, 04:50

OZARK: US Helicopter, a division of Bell Aerospace Services Inc., announced the delivery of the first TH-1H training helicopter to the U.S. Air Force. Bell Aero is a subsidiary of Bell Helicopter, a Textron company.

The official rollout ceremony was held at Randolph AFB, Texas, on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2005. This is the first of twenty-four TH-1H aircraft expected to be fielded over the next four years for the Air Education and Training Command (AETC). AETC is the center for USAF helicopter training, located at Fort Rucker, Ozark, Alabama.

Lockheed Martin Integrated Systems is the prime contractor under the USAF FAST program and is responsible for systems integration and program management. US Helicopter, as a subcontractor, performed the aircraft refurbishment, modification, and flight test at its Ozark, Alabama, facility.

The TH-1H starts with the proven, highly regarded Bell UH-1H helicopter, widely known as the "Huey." The primary upgrade is the Bell Huey II kit, which encompasses a more powerful engine, along with new dynamic components, nose and tail boom. The cockpit and mission equipment upgrades include changing from analog to a digital cockpit (round dials to flat screens), crashworthy seats, and total rewiring.

The TH-1H Team also includes TCS Design and Management Services; Bell Helicopter; McTurbine, Inc.; Astronautics Corp of America; and Simula. These modifications literally transform a legacy aircraft into a state-of-the-art training platform compatible with future operational aircraft. This undergraduate training platform develops multiple pilot skills and transitions those skills faster across multiple aircraft.

This is just another example of how the proud legacy of the Huey continues to live on. Over the last fifteen years, US Helicopter has refurbished over four hundred UH-1 helicopters and installed over one hundred Huey II upgrade kits. In June 2005, US Helicopter was acquired by Bell Aerospace Services Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Bell Helicopter. Bell Aerospace Services provides turnkey aviation maintenance and support services throughout the world.

Bell Helicopter is a leading producer of commercial and military helicopters and the pioneer of the revolutionary tilt rotor aircraft. Globally recognized for customer service, innovation and superior quality, Bell's global workforce of over 9,000 employees serves customers flying Bell aircraft in over 120 countries.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
My first helicopter ride was in an old beat up Huey...

I'm glad to see 'em still with some use.

phrogpilot73

Now if only we can get zero time Phrogs for use as "training platforms", then I probably wouldn't be thinking about getting out... (Yes, I do love the old girl...)

bobbybrock

None
Yes what a great aircraft. I haven't flown since 94. Here is some great Army thinking for you. They started phaseing the H-1 out in 95. Only a few units still fly them. After Commanche got cancelled the Army got real hot on fielding an off the shelf Light Utility Helicoter ( LUH ) . This airframe will perform jobs to small for the H-60. Think VIP transport for 5 people or less.
So it should not come to anyones suprise that the UH-1H is the favorite to get the contract. That's after the Army sold all there's to public agency's for dirt cheap.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is Commanche cancelled or shelved? I used to know, but I forgot.

bobbybrock

None
Commanche is done. The Army Aviation branch has finally decided after 20 years that it wasn't worth it.
All the other airframes will benefit from the cancellation big time. Most modern aircraft will get class cockpits. The newest model of the H-60 the Mike model will be fielded in about a year as well as the next H-47. Plus lots of money for ASE. The army also just awarded Bell a contract for a new off the shelf armed recon helo. It will replace the OH-58D.
The Army now has to choose the new light helo. The Huey along with the Agusta 109 and a few Eurocopter entries. It will be intresting to see what they pick. My guess is the new version of the proven Huey.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hopefully the technology from the Comanche will be used to make better, newer, cheaper aircraft. Like the F-22 in regards to the F-35 and the USS SEAWOLF in regards to the USS VIRGINIA.