• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hurray! It Didn't Disintergrate!

zuggerat

'Discovery is home'
Shuttle completes first mission since loss of Columbia

By Thom Patterson
CNN

Tuesday, August 9, 2005; Posted: 5:23 p.m. EDT (21:23 GMT)

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, Florida (CNN) -- The space shuttle Discovery touched down Tuesday morning, completing NASA's first shuttle mission since Columbia broke apart during re-entry in February 2003.

The shuttle landed at 5:11 a.m. PT at NASA's secondary landing site at Edwards Air Force Base in California.

As commander Eileen Collins brought the orbiter to a stop on runway 22, NASA spokesman James Hartsfield stated, "Discovery is home."

"Congratulations on a truly spectacular test flight," mission control radioed the crew. "Welcome home friends."

"We're happy to be back," Collins said.

"We brought Discovery back in great shape," she said later after getting a look around the spacecraft.

She thanked all the people who worked on the mission calling it "fantastic."

It was the 50th shuttle landing at Edwards.

With Discovery safely back on Earth, NASA officials breathed a huge sigh of relief.

"It's a good day to be us," program manager Bill Parsons said at a Kennedy Space Center news conference.

"There isn't any of this that is easy ... Eileen made it look like a cake walk," associate administrator Mike Readdy said.

Bad weather

Earlier Tuesday NASA waved off its two opportunities for Discovery to land at its primary site at Kennedy Space Center because of stormy weather off the Florida coast.

Weather conditions at Edwards included clear skies and light winds, "excellent conditions for a space shuttle landing," NASA said.

"How do you feel about a beautiful clear night with a breeze down the runway in the high desert of California?" mission control radioed Collins.

"We are ready for whatever we need to do," Collins said.

Discovery's path to Edwards began with the spacecraft firing its engines over the Indian Ocean to slow it enough to re-enter Earth's atmosphere over the Pacific.

Shuttle pilot James Kelly steered Discovery on a trajectory leading it near Los Angeles and Oxnard, California, before touch down.

NASA officials vowed to land the orbiter Tuesday at one of three locations after weather conditions forced them to scrub the shuttle's scheduled return a day earlier. The Kennedy Space Center in Florida was NASA's first choice. Edwards their second and White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico their third.

Officials would have preferred to land at Kennedy Space Center to avoid the cost and inconvenience of flying the shuttle back to its launch site from the alternative landing strips.

Discovery will stay in California for nine or 10 days before being ferried back to Florida on the back of a specially designed aircraft, a NASA official said Tuesday.

Return to flight

Tuesday's landing caps a 14-day mission largely designed to improve safety on future shuttle journeys, although the program has been suspended while NASA investigates its failure to solve the problem of foam falling from the shuttle's external liquid fuel tank during launch.

Video from the July 26 launch showed debris falling from the fuel tank, but NASA said it did not appear to have struck the orbiter.

NASA administrator Michael Griffin said Tuesday he didn't want to guess on when the next shuttle, Atlantis, would launch but said the agency would try hard to get back into space by the end of the year.

"We have a construction project (international space station) we are working on and we need the shuttle to do it ... but we are not going to go until we are ready to go," Griffin said.

Once in space, Discovery's crew used cameras to scrutinize the craft's exterior for possible damage that might pose a threat during re-entry.

The shuttle spent most of the mission docked to the space station, delivering much-needed supplies and performing maintenance on the outpost.

Astronaut Steve Robinson performed an unprecedented shuttle repair mission by plucking two pieces of filler material protruding between tiles on Discovery's underside. NASA wanted them removed to ensure they wouldn't overheat, damaging Discovery's belly during re-entry.

From his ranch in Crawford, Texas, President Bush congratulated the crew for a successful mission.

"It was a great achievement. It was important for NASA as it regains the confidence of the American people and begins to transition to the new mission we've set out for NASA," the president said.

If it is praise worthy of not having another shuttle be unevenly distributed across 12 states then i believe it is time to retire the shuttle find a new mode of getting to space... perhaps roman candles?

brownshoe

Contributor
zuggerat said:
'Discovery is home'
Shuttle completes first mission since loss of Columbia

If it is praise worthy of not having another shuttle be unevenly distributed across 12 states then i believe it is time to retire the shuttle find a new mode of getting to space... perhaps roman candles?

You quote George Patton and then say this???

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
You gotta love flight planning that return trip....

Destination: Florida

Alternate: California

Route: Via the equator

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
brownshoe said:
You quote George Patton and then say this???

Quiet, you. Learn how to spell Maryland, then realize that he is right despite his obvious sarcasm. The gov't bailed out on funding a shuttle replacement (which was to be an advanced Single Stage To Orbit vehicle) and now we're stuck with the Shuttle or old-fashioned space capsules. As the shuttle never met its original goal, perhaps it's time to move on. This is what we get for underfunding NASA.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Road Program said:
You gotta love flight planning that return trip....

Destination: Florida

Alternate: California

Route: Via the equator

Nice!

I saw something on the local news this morning. They were talking about how the commander gave the pilot some stick time during the descent, then took over controls again during landing. They were saying some stupid crap about how they thought she got sick and coildnt handle the shuttle or something. I guess that made a few people scared or something because shortly after, they had some guy on there explaining how that is normal

Slammer2

Contributor
McNamara said:
Quiet, you. Learn how to spell Maryland, then realize that he is right despite his obvious sarcasm. The gov't bailed out on funding a shuttle replacement (which was to be an advanced Single Stage To Orbit vehicle) and now we're stuck with the Shuttle or old-fashioned space capsules. As the shuttle never met its original goal, perhaps it's time to move on. This is what we get for underfunding NASA.

This month in the IEEE magazine there is this huge section on space elevators. Some of those drawings look pretty sweet, but I wonder if its something we'd ever do.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
That's a good question, and definitely worth looking into. Did the article discuss any of the materials engineering obstacles they are coping with?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Slammer2 said:
Nice!

I saw something on the local news this morning. They were talking about how the commander gave the pilot some stick time during the descent, then took over controls again during landing. They were saying some stupid crap about how they thought she got sick and coildnt handle the shuttle or something. I guess that made a few people scared or something because shortly after, they had some guy on there explaining how that is normal

You know, that makes no sense.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Am I the only person who feels like the spending on our space program is misplaced? For instance, that it could be much better used somewhere else that would be more directly beneficial to America/mankind?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
metro said:
Am I the only person who feels like the spending on our space program is misplaced? For instance, that it could be much better used somewhere else that would be more directly beneficial to America/mankind?

Many of the materials and technology you enjoy today and take for granted are a DIRECT result of the space program. It is not misplaced. If anything, it is way under budget.

Edited to add: Subsidizing private exploration of space would also be a good idea. But that's too radical for some.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
We've got our priorities screwed up. NASA is under budget, and we owe alot to them. But the way we're currently funding things, Metro is right that we may as well spend the money on more important things. I'd be willing to give up Velcro and Tang if it would help relieve a famine somewhere, but that's hindsight.

One reason the space program enjoyed such popularity in the 60s was that it was exciting! Now people are simply hoping that no one dies. We need an inspirational mission, even if it's not entirely practical (i.e. human exploration of Mars) to spark interest in the new generation of future scientists and astronauts. Then maybe we can regain the old momentum that we had. Private exploration may have a place in the future, but for now the government needs a space agenda with concrete goals like Kennedy once gave us. The last two Bushes said big things about exploring the solar system, but nothing materialized from their words.

Slammer2

Contributor
Fly Navy said:
You know, that makes no sense.

My post or their reasoning? If it was my post that made no sense, it meant to say that they freaked out because they heard from one of the NASA controllers or whoever that she handed the shuttle over to the pilot and they assumed that its because she was sick or something. Then a few minutes afterwards, they had one of the reporters go back to that story and say how it was normal for the commander of the shuttle to give stick time to the pilot.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
McNamara said:
I'd be willing to give up Velcro and Tang if it would help relieve a famine somewhere, but that's hindsight.

I know you're being sarcastic, but don't pander to the morons of the country. Much more has come from the space program than Velcro and Tang. (Have to admit though, Velcro was an amazing invention)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Slammer2 said:
My post or their reasoning? If it was my post that made no sense, it meant to say that they freaked out because they heard from one of the NASA controllers or whoever that she handed the shuttle over to the pilot and they assumed that its because she was sick or something. Then a few minutes afterwards, they had one of the reporters go back to that story and say how it was normal for the commander of the shuttle to give stick time to the pilot.

The Shuttle Commander is normally a pilot. How is a pilot giving controls to a pilot a bad thing?

Whalebite

Linear Areospike Engine kicks ass, they kept getting so close with the single stage to orbit vehicle, and then political moods changed and then FINISHED space hardware gets sold for scrap when billions were sunk into it. Its a sin to cut up aircraft/spacecraft!