• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I have the coolest community service job in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
So I knew one thing my OCS application was lacking in was my lack of community service experience. So I decided to become a volunteer worker at a semi-local Warbird Museum. My first day was today and it was a blast. They put me with the restoration team and I spent the day sanding and washing an F-4 in preparation for it to get painted.

They have a ton of great birds there, including the A-7 Corsair, A-4 Skyhawk, and the A-6 whose pilot is actually a museum member and volunteer worker..His name was actually on the canopy when the Navy donated it.

The told me today that the Navy just donated them a p-3, S-3, and an F-14 Tomcat. I get to hang out around these planes..how awesome is that.

...beats the heck out of painting park bridges and having the locals think that you are part of a correctional facility..which i've done before.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I guess being an aerospace engineering major, a student pilot and growing up in my grandfather and uncles helicopter shop didnt hurt.. ;)

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
That's great blakeness! I wish I good have gotten a steady community service gig like that. My community service work has been coordinating the hotel rooms for our airshow and what ever else I need to do, tug an A-10 or a MiG-17 or a SNJ (the original Texan) or fuel a DC-3 or the A-10s. But the best thing I did was hand out with a AF reservist who flies C-130 hurricane hunters when he is not flying the -777 and then going for a formation flight in his Yak.

So far I have about 250 hrs in volunteer work from the four airshows that I have helped to put on.

The blakeness what musuem are you working at?

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Do you need community service now? I didn't have squat on my app when I put it in. I guess when they're trying to flood the ranks with JOs they'll take what they can get. Guess I got in at a good time.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I dont think you have too. Im just trying to get a more rounded application. I guess I would rather be more over qualified then less then qualified.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
If you ever get the itch to build something, go to www.habitat.org and type in your zip code. I spent May 1st helping build a house on a site destroyed by the San Diego wildfires. Going back in 2 weeks too.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
UPDATE:

We just picked up a T-34 from Lemoore yesterday. This particular Mentor had to make an emergency landing a few years back, and then the Navy beat it up somemore hauling and storing it at Lemoore..so we have a bit of work to do, but this plane still has hope to become airborne again.

ladybug

Jolly Roger's fiance
Ok, my bf would kill for your job. He is such a air plane nerd (sorry honey). Me on the other hand I go to airshows mostly to be with him. When we first started dating I had no clue what a Corsair was now though I get him rides in planes at our local airshow because I handle pilot registration. :icon_smil Aren't I a good gf.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
ladybug said:
Ok, my bf would kill for your job. He is such a air plane nerd (sorry honey). Me on the other hand I go to airshows mostly to be with him. When we first started dating I had no clue what a Corsair was now though I get him rides in planes at our local airshow because I handle pilot registration. :icon_smil Aren't I a good gf.

Some guys have all the luck

goldwingdreams

Can someone hook me up with a few sites they might know about that deal w/ volunteering @ airshows or in an air museum.

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.