• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I know you get this question alot but I need an expert opinion

SnoopyBaron

I know you get these questions a lot but anytime I post these questions on a forum all I get is a bunch of high school military pilot dreamers to answer them and i need an actual pilot or expert to answer them.

I am currently a freshman at a community college in Arizona and I have a GPA of 3.5 or so (trying to increase it). After next year I plan to apply and hopefully be accepted to ASU Polytechnics (Aeronautical Management Technology (B.S.) in Professional Flight) my main questions are.

If I ever want to try to become a military aviator, does having a civilian aviation degree increase or decrease my chances? I have heard that if I get civilian pilot training that can make me non-eligible.

I have also heard that Embry Riddle is your best chance for becoming a military aviator but because it is a private school the cost is up there so my next question is.

Is going to an alternate University like ASU a better option? I know you people recommend going to ROTC or one of the military academies but I would like to see if I like flying first and I think a civilian aviation degree is better and that leads to my final question.

Am I in the right state of mind or is going to a military the academy the only real way to become a military aviator. Thank you for your time and help it is well appriciated. :icon_smil

Aslo I am going to try and major in professional flight and not aviation engineering because I find flying very exciting and I would like to do it even if it isnt in the military.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
If I ever want to try to become a military aviator, does having a civilian aviation degree increase or decrease my chances?
I don't think it matters. Most military aviators do not have an aviation degree.

I have heard that if I get civilian pilot training that can make me non-eligible.
Completely FALSE

I have also heard that Embry Riddle is your best chance for becoming a military aviator but because it is a private school the cost is up there so my next question is.
Completely FALSE, don't waste your money on becoming a superior private pilot by paying out the a$$ there.

Is going to an alternate University like ASU a better option? I know you people recommend going to ROTC or one of the military academies but I would like to see if I like flying first and I think a civilian aviation degree is better and that leads to my final question.

Am I in the right state of mind or is going to a military the academy the only real way to become a military aviator. Thank you for your time and help it is well appriciated.

Aslo I am going to try and major in professional flight and not aviation engineering because I find flying very exciting and I would like to do it even if it isnt in the military.
Search previous responses as people like you post the same questions every other day. BDCP program seems to be an awesome deal, search on here about it. NROTC or the Academy will get you commissioned without goign to OCS. If you do not do that and just go to say ASU, graduate and then want to get a commission, OCS is your route. For any of these programs you need to be a well-rounded individual, in shape, decent grades, etc....again just search the threads on here. I think wasting money on a professional pilot degree is ridiculous. Major in something that you can fall back on in the event of medical or other problems. I do know of someone who got their Commercial Multi and everything before that at Riddle who then had a medical problem that precluded getting even a Class 3 FAA Medical. Money down the drain. If you want to see if you like flying before committing to anything costly or time consuming, just go get 15 or so hours of civilian flight time. Also, when doing so keep in mind that you will be flying faster, farther, doing a mission, in a more stressful environment than a Cessna 172.

Kycntryboy

pilot
If I ever want to try to become a military aviator, does having a civilian aviation degree increase or decrease my chances? I have heard that if I get civilian pilot training that can make me non-eligible.

Having an aviation degree would help but by far its not that you need it. Whats more important is that you do really well in your degree (gpa wise). You got bad gouge on the last part, civilian training will never disqualify you, thats crap. You might develop different habits that military will change, but thats it.

I have also heard that Embry Riddle is your best chance for becoming a military aviator but because it is a private school the cost is up there so my next question is.Is going to an alternate University like ASU a better option? Am I in the right state of mind or is going to a military the academy the only real way to become a military aviator.

IMO GPA matters more than what school you go to, I went through OCS we had private school guys and public school.... One guy has $100,000 in loans, I went to UK I've got $3,000. You get past the community college and see how you do in a four-year college (ASU), The Navy will want to see how you do there. Don't forget or be aware that there are 3 commissioning source, Academy, ROTC, and OCS. Look up BDCP for OCS, you should be gold for that.

ATLien

Can I talk to you, Michael?
pilot
Make sure you want to be in the military too. Although I have never deployed, I am already quite aware that flying is a small percentage of your whole "job." Additionally, things may happen that preclude you from being an aviator but you still will have a 5 year commitment.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c

and as i mentioned before, even the NROTC Commander at Embry-Riddle says that the "Aeronautical Sciences w/ Military Pilot Specialty" (a flight degree) is not the right degree to have to become an SNA.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
and as i mentioned before, even the NROTC Commander at Embry-Riddle says that the "Aeronautical Sciences w/ Military Pilot Specialty" (a flight degree) is not the right degree to have to become an SNA.

And as I (and countless others) have mentioned, there is no right degree. Not a slam on you DSL, just want to give the full picture.