• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I Need Help Guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

horned frog

I'm getting ready to leave for OCC 188 in a few weeks. Until recently, my parents have been very supportive of my decision to join the Corps. Now, as the date gets closer, their "parental feelings" are beginning to surface. They understand what a tremendous opportunity this is, but they cannot seem to separate it from the risk involved.

Does anyone have any experience that would be helpful here? I'm not sure what else I can say to them. Any tips would be appreciated.

reapergm

My parents BUGGED out when I left. My mom cried all the time. But when they were at graduation.. they couldnt have been more proud and supportive. They were hardcore Marine parents.. they had t-shirts, flags.. all that nasty trash. So let them be parents and dont worry about it. I promise you they will have the biggest smile at your graduation!! -Lt. Reaper

PS - Now get off the damn comp and go PT you NASTY DOGGONE FRIGGEN CANDIDATE!!! NASTY!!!

horned frog

Thanks, reaper. That makes sense, I'll use that approach.

And yes, I'm going to PT tonight and first thing tomorrow morning, sir!

muc1

Dido for me. Though I was NPQ'd, my parents (Mom) are supportive for me to try again.

I know this might sound harsh, but you've got to put it behind you quick. When your an officer (I know you can graduate OCS!) and your out in the fleet, you will be needing to set the example for other Marines who will be homesick, or worried about their Moms!!! There are also guys worse off. I left my wife and son at home... The worst thing I found was actually talking about it. Some guy would not stop talking to me about it; talk about putting salt in a wound...

Stay focused! You posted at 15:30 and your still online? There'll be time for relaxing when your all done with OCS! Now follow reapergm's order and go PT!!!

Pheidippides

Reserve Officers

I know this has nothing to do with previous questions but I needed to ask for a buddy of mine. He is a prior enlisted Marine (Sgt) and he is about to grad. college in May, He only wants to do Reserve duty is it the same as in enlisted where you can contract reservist or is this not possible and after your first term you can become a reservist officer. Someone let me know so I can inform him before he looks like an idiot to the OSO.

muc1

I was told that there is no reserve officer program for new officers. You must complete your first tour before going reserve. This was asked from the perspective of having no prior service though. You should email samadma or a more complete answer.

DevilBrauch

Horned Frog,
Dont worry too much, before I went to boot camp my mom used to cry and try to talk me out of going all of the time but once I graduated she became very supportive and proud. Now all she does is brag about how her son is a U.S. Marine to everyone she meets. Your parents showing their "parental feelings" is probably very normal and I'm sure they will be super proud of you once you graduate OCS.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.