• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I need help weighing my options.

thekillerkiwi

I am 25 currently with an associates of science degree in Film. I would like to go about becoming a Naval Officer. I have talked with both the enlisted recruiter and officer recruiter already.

Now in your honest opinion what would be the best course of action to take to become an Officer? I read about the BDCP and that sounds like the path for me. What I'm wondering about now is now that I'm applying for a 4-year university like the Officer recruiter told me to do which degree program should I enter to help out with the process? Should I continue on with the Film path and finish that or pick up an Engineering degree like Aerospace?

I would just like to know any other options available to me and how I should pursue them. Ok thank you for you time.

BullGator

I am 25 currently with an associates of science degree in Film. I would like to go about becoming a Naval Officer. I have talked with both the enlisted recruiter and officer recruiter already.

Now in your honest opinion what would be the best course of action to take to become an Officer? I read about the BDCP and that sounds like the path for me. What I'm wondering about now is now that I'm applying for a 4-year university like the Officer recruiter told me to do which degree program should I enter to help out with the process? Should I continue on with the Film path and finish that or pick up an Engineering degree like Aerospace?

I would just like to know any other options available to me and how I should pursue them. Ok thank you for you time.
What designation (job) would you idealy like to have? Or which designations?

Is your current degree in a 4 year college or a community college? If you have a 4-year degree, you are probably already qualified and can take the OCS route. That's what I am doing.

thekillerkiwi

I currently have a 2 year degree from a couple of years ago. I didn't really think I would be going back to school, but I've found that video editing may not be what I want. So I am reapplying for school to get a 4 year degree so I can be an officer.

I would like to pursue Naval Aviation primarily, Surface Warfare Officer, or Submarine/Nuke Officer are my secondary choices.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
I currently have a 2 year degree from a couple of years ago. I didn't really think I would be going back to school, but I've found that video editing may not be what I want. So I am reapplying for school to get a 4 year degree so I can be an officer.

I would like to pursue Naval Aviation primarily, Surface Warfare Officer, or Submarine/Nuke Officer are my secondary choices.

I think you should pick a major you are interested in. If you aren't interested in it, it will get old really fast. You can get into aviation and SWO with pretty much any major. Just make sure you get good grades and get involved with extra cur. like volunteering and such so that you have stuff to put on your application.

BullGator

Aviation in Navy/marines is cut off at 27 years old (30 with a waiver AND prior enlistment); you need to complete OCS and get a commission as an ensign before you turn 27. So that seems out, although the AF offers pilot until 29 and a half y.o. and the Army is 32, I think.

If you want be a Naval Officer, SWO or Sub-Nuke may be your best bet (nice bonuses too). For Submarine-nuke you need physics (with calculus-one course, 2 semesters) and calculus before that course, so take those. I took physics without calculus and because of that I don't even think I qualify. Other than that pick a degree plan that you can excel at.

Talk to a officer recruiter and some of the BDCP guys here. There was an interesting thread on here titled "SWO vs. NFO" which talks in detail about the differences from guys in those fields, and it even goes on to explain the differences between SWO and the submarine-nuke designators:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144153

Look around, ask some people (I know Spekkio is a sub-nuke guy), and talk to your OR foremost.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
^^^^^^^^ Blasphemy, he wants Naval Officer THEN Naval Aviation... we tolerate and love our esteemed black show brethren, but we do not recruit fresh meat for them....

Clicky here...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<...v

v
v
v

VVVVVV
V
V
VVVVVv
.........V
.........V
VVVVVV
v
v
vvvvvvvvv
VVVVVVVV
......VV
......VV
......VV
......VV
......VV
v
v
VVVVVV
V
V
VVVV
V
V
V
V
>>>>>>>>>>>>= https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/tw4/pilot_reqs.asp
>>>>>>>>>>>>= Or if age is an issue, you could do this too, NOW http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/download/Videos/60_Sec_WO_Spot_2007.wmv
^
^
^
----A----
---A A---
--AAAA--
-A-----A-
A-------A

A wonderfully boring evening to accomplish a mindless task...Wont you edit it into your next movie please. kthx!

thekillerkiwi

Aviation in Navy/marines is cut off at 27 years old (30 with a waiver AND prior enlistment); you need to complete OCS and get a commission as an ensign before you turn 27. So that seems out, although the AF offers pilot until 29 and a half y.o. and the Army is 32, I think.

If you want be a Naval Officer, SWO or Sub-Nuke may be your best bet (nice bonuses too). For Submarine-nuke you need physics (with calculus-one course, 2 semesters) and calculus before that course, so take those. I took physics without calculus and because of that I don't even think I qualify. Other than that pick a degree plan that you can excel at.

Talk to a officer recruiter and some of the BDCP guys here. There was an interesting thread on here titled "SWO vs. NFO" which talks in detail about the differences from guys in those fields, and it even goes on to explain the differences between SWO and the submarine-nuke designators:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144153

Look around, ask some people (I know Spekkio is a sub-nuke guy), and talk to your OR foremost.

I'm curious being that it was mentioned that you can get into aviation with "pretty much" any major. Could I finish my Bachelor's in Film and then apply. I'm pretty sure I could get it done by my 27th birthday and get excellent grades. I currently have a 3.4 GPA with 80.59 credit hours.

I hear what you are saying about doing something I excel at, but in all honesty I excel at just about anything I put my mind to. So that is why I'm asking what types of degrees would be preferred.

Clux4

Banned
Do something fun exciting but also marketable. Should you decide to end your militay pursuit, you want to be able to have something to fall back on. A degrere in basket weaving will not get you much on the outside. Have a plan B.

BullGator

I'm curious being that it was mentioned that you can get into aviation with "pretty much" any major. Could I finish my Bachelor's in Film and then apply. I'm pretty sure I could get it done by my 27th birthday and get excellent grades. I currently have a 3.4 GPA with 80.59 credit hours.

I hear what you are saying about doing something I excel at, but in all honesty I excel at just about anything I put my mind to. So that is why I'm asking what types of degrees would be preferred.
Yes, you only need a 4-year bachelors (for college education); my bachelors was a B.S. in zoology. The board does like when applicants have a engineering background (math and science probably also don't hurt) and they consider this, but by no means is it a pre-requisite. Therefore, any major will do, but it is a little bit of a positive to have a engineering major (can't hurt those applicants when they are taking the ASTB mechanical and math sections either). Like SWCS said, it certainly helps for you to also do extra-curriculars, to volunteer, have good employment records (LORs are good), and keep your nose clean (DUIs and the like).

Understand though that you need to be commissioned by your 27th birthday for the Navy & Marines aviation. That includes pilot and NFO. However, I have heard of two people from this site that may have "slipped" by, having their 27th birthday during OCS (or even before they left for Newport); they were about 27 and a couple months. This is rare though and they probably had very strong packages for the selection boards to "overlook" this (my guess). Personally, I am sending my package in this month and will continue to until I am excepted; if I am not (I will) and I get to 27y.o., I will probably apply AF (29.5yo cut off). Good luck and talk to a OR ASAP.

Also understand (this is second hand knowledge, so anyone correct me if I'm wrong) that if you go the BDCP route, you will be locked into service one way or another. This should be fine, but there is a small chance that you will not get aviation. If you go with BDCP, do everything you can to enable yourself to be in position to get what you want (aviation, or if you change your mind, then do what ever that is).

Make sure to ask your OR if your previous 2 years college experience will apply directly to your 4-year degree requirement; I think they will, but I do not know that. This can be part of your BDCP question since BDCPs have to wait until there soph/junior years to get a BDCP ride. Print out a list of questions for your OR and call him/her tomorrow or ASAP.

I hope that will help you on your venture. Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions,

BullGator

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Majoring in Film would be a new one on me, but as far as Naval Aviation goes, we don't care. Mrs Fester majored in Music with a minor in Hebraic Studies, and she got her gold wings, too. 4-yr Bachelor's from an accredited institution, you're good to go. If we can teach a chimp to be an astronaut, we can teach a Film major to fly a T-34.

Nuke SWO/Sub is a different story. They don't care so much what your major was, but you'd better at least have some tough math-science electives with the grades to show you can hack it. Nuke Power is very tough, probably the hardest academic school in the Navy.

If you want to fly, your age will be a factor. if you're serious about it, better make with the hustle, and go talk to an officer-programs recruiter.

Clux4

Banned
Majoring in Film would be a new one on me, but as far as Naval Aviation goes, we don't care. Mrs Fester majored in Music with a minor in Hebraic Studies, and she got her gold wings, too. 4-yr Bachelor's from an accredited institution, you're good to go. If we can teach a chimp to be an astronaut, we can teach a Film major to fly a T-34.

Aunt Fester you mean :D

thekillerkiwi

Another quick question. Does it matter what type of accreditation the school has? Some schools are nationally and some are regionally accredited. Does this matter to the Navy?