• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

i need the advice of some salty (experienced) naval aviators

miker1

before i ask my question i will need to give a little background first. I enlisted in the navy in 97. I worked on F-18s and fell in love with naval aviation. I went to BOOST, then USC. After that i went to pensacola as a student pilot. That was in 04. I was one of about 160 SNAs that were eventually discontinued from flight school for a miriad of reasons. My reason was my sitting height. After alot of research i found that they had changed the requirements a year earlier for that reason. I also found out that my sitting height was on the order of one tenth of an inch too high. i was heart broken. I was given the option to go NFO, i declined with the knowledge that i would be "involuntarily" discharged. My heart and soul was into being a pilot.

After a completely unfullfilling job in real estate i decided to attend a civilian flight school, ATP. Now i have all my ratings except the ATP (private, multi, instrument, commercial, CFI's) and almost four hundred hours. I am currently a CFI with ATP.

I do miss the Navy alot. I still want to be an officer for the Navy. With my prior enlisted back ground i feel i could be a great officer. So i am joining the reserves. And here is where i need advice...

I am going into this knowing that it very well might be impossible. I know there are people who go into the reserves and transfer into active duty jobs with recomendations from superiors and what not. What i am going to try to do is attempt to transfer to active duty into flight school. It was several years ago when i got out, the 'state' of naval aviation must be different now. My experiences as a proir enlisted and my hours of flight as well as my desire to once again be an officer are sure to be desirable qualities that the navy would be fond of.

I have never heard of this happening though and dont expect my chances to be very good, nonetheless i am still going to try. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening before? Any advice?

TuxFlier

I know you miss the Navy, but flying for the Air National Guard might be an option to consider too.

www.baseops.net lists some of the good guard flying opportunities if you are still interested in flying military.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The worst they can do is tell you "no..." Just go for it.

Yeah, concur there, especially if some of the anthro requirements have been relaxed. Maybe you're a freak of nature, but it's difficult for me to imagine someone being anthro'd out of P-3s, or even helos just for sitting height. I say go for it - certainly can't do any harm.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was given the option to go NFO, i declined with the knowledge that i would be "involuntarily" discharged. My heart and soul was into being a pilot....I still want to be an officer for the Navy. With my prior enlisted back ground i feel i could be a great officer...My experiences as a proir enlisted and my hours of flight as well as my desire to once again be an officer are sure to be desirable qualities that the navy would be fond of.

You realize that NFOs are officers in the US Navy too.
We don't fly 100% of the time.

If they offered you NFO again?

miker1

I definitely know NFO is an officer. I hope i don't seem like i'm looking down on NFOs. I just have to absolutely be a pilot. Its the one thing that i am most certain about. If i could do it for the Navy that would be my current dream job. If not i will go to a Regional airline and work for peanuts for a while and then get a decent job.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like you don't want to be an officer, just a pilot.

Thus, I recommend you work for a commuter airlines and then get a "decent job."

G

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like you don't want to be an officer, just a pilot.

Thus, I recommend you work for a commuter airlines and then get a "decent job."

G

Concur. Enjoy making $30-40K / year as a glorified bus driver while the rest of us officers are killing bad guys. :D

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I just have to absolutely be a pilot. Its the one thing that i am most certain about. If i could do it for the Navy that would be my current dream job. If not i will go to a Regional airline and work for peanuts for a while and then get a decent job.

Don't come to my airline for a job ... they don't like pilots. Plus, I occasionally contract out with them for interviews ... :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Concur. Enjoy making $30-40K / year as a glorified bus driver while the rest of us officers are killing bad guys. :D

Brett

Unfortunetly, I've spent most of my time in the Navy being an unglorified bus driver who didn't get to kill bad guys.......lifes a bitch :eek: