• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I was accepted to PLC...Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
So there were a bunch of candidates from my area going for a single SNFO spot, unfortunately the guy that got it had a few more PFT points, but I'll count myself lucky because the board gave me a ground spot even though I was an air contract.

Bighead

DBLang,
Congrats on getting that ground slot! I am going up on the board in April for a ground slot but I heard they are hard to come by. I was wondering what you stats (ie PFT,GPA,SAT) all that stuff. I want to see how I compare to someone that got a slot.

Thanks

DBLang

PLC Candidate
I was an SNFO contract, but the single SNFO spot went to someone with a slightly higher PFT. No complaints there. Luckily for me the board decided I was worthy of a ground spot, so they gave me one even though I signed an air contract. I'll probably have to go back in and sign 50 more pages but I'm pumped regardless.

Peters1

What are the chances of switching from air to ground before i go to PLC srs in july? I am a junior at colgate university, i graduated PLC jrs two years ago, i have a 3.4 GPA, 285 PFT (last calculated at jrs but i know i can easily still do it again if not improve on that), 1300 SAT and obviously i am currently a aviation contract. I would really appreciate any replies.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
I think the best thing to do would be calling your OSO and asking him. I believe its just some simple paper work, but it all depends on what the Marine Corps is willing to do. Any advice for PLC jnrs Peters1?

livefast

Peters1: My OSO says it's possible to switch from air to ground but they will "give you grief," whatever the hell that means, since aviation guys are harder to come by.

Gonzodogg

Peters1
I have heard the same thing about them giving grief to guys that want to switch from air to ground. It's because a lot of guys just apply on an air contract knowing that they have a better chance of being accepted because the Marines wants pilots. I'm not saying that was ever your intention, just be prepared to answer that kind of question.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
I’ve heard two thoughts from the higher ups. Back at TBS, the legal officer said something to the effect of the air contract as a legal agreement that you will go to flight school, and you will be looked down on for breaking that contract.
The other train of thought coming from those on the aviation side of the house is that the sooner you figure out you want to go ground – then hey, thanks for not wasting our money. It’s unreal how much the spend on us to get through training.
It depends on who you talk to, and how many slots they need to fill. My advice – make up your mind as quick as possible and then be straight up with your OSO/SPC/whoever you fall under.
You have better chances of getting the job you want if your not the guy that DORs in Fam 1-5.

plumberphil

Selected PLC-C 186 Ground
DB,
Congrats on the selection. I'm in your same shoes only I didn't get selected NFO due to low ASTB scores. What you can do is a component transfer after OCS and prior to your commissioning. You'll transfer from a ground contract to an air contract. My OSO said it's a relatively easy thing to do, but I guess I'll have to wait until after this summer to find out. Once again...no guarantees.

Stay Motivated,
Jake

Peters1

I appreciate all the advice from everyone and i will talk to my OSO and figure out what the best thing for me to do is. But obviously the most important thing here is to be an officer of marines. What they have me do is just icing on the cake. DBLang, PLC, and all of OCS in my opinion and I think those who have been will agree, is not necessarily a place designed to teach a whole lot. Its designed to see how much you can take while you are not in your comfort zone. You learn some stuff (really important stuff actually) but the main thing is just to remember is that while it is important to do well on exams and tests, you really need to show that you can be a good leader and handle all the games and the yelling and stress. Its a test to see who can hack it as a marine and who can't. That being said, when you go there this summer, make sure you are in good shape. If PT is something you look forward to, then you are on the right track. If you stress it and fail in it then you are going to have a tough time. But your PFT looked real solid so it shouldn't be a problem. Good luck and if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help.

OCPLCSr.05

Dont sweat the ground contract, you can always switch to air for your PLC sr's. So dont sweat it. I was looking to go air, but got ground last year, went to jr's. and loved the whole idea of being on the ground, so you never know. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.