• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IAF Fighter Jets Buzz US Airliner

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Think of the implications if Isreal had shot down a continental flight... Talk about biting the hand that feeds...

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
That would have been bad, but you can't really blame the Israelis for being a tad paranoid.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
You'd think when the Continental flight lost contact they would be doing everything they could to get in touch with someone to get it sorted out, or even diverting... given Isreal's track record...

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
A suicide bomber with a 50KT nuke strapped inside a commercial airliner pretending to be having comms difficulties is a scary thought.:(

invictus

"one who is feared by many, has many to fear" -
anyone here ever read about, or remember the USS Liberty incident of June, 1967?
34 sailors killed, 174 wounded. a strong case is argued that it was a deliberate attack.
Unfortunately, F-4's launched to aid the ship in distress were recalled in mid-flight by direct intervention by LBJ and and SecDef McNamara. Traitorous in my opinion. ..If only...

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
"one who is feared by many, has many to fear" -
anyone here ever read about, or remember the USS Liberty incident of June, 1967?
34 sailors killed, 174 wounded. a strong case is argued that it was a deliberate attack.
Unfortunately, F-4's launched to aid the ship in distress were recalled in mid-flight by direct intervention by LBJ and and SecDef McNamara. Traitorous in my opinion. ..If only...

We would have destroyed our biggest ally in the Middle East region, over an incident that today can't be proven either way to be deliberate or not...

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
We would have destroyed our biggest ally in the Middle East region, over an incident that today can't be proven either way to be deliberate or not...
Hard to prove today - but at the time there was plenty of evidence to lead to a conclusion. There is no denying that details of the Liberty event were shrouded by the powers that be at the time. The reasoning why... we may never know.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Could it have had something to do with LBJ wanting to get us into the Arab-Israeli war in a similar fashion as the Gulf of Tonkin incident.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I had a skipper who could comm jam better than an EA-6B.......just by trying to talk on the radio.