• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IAF piece on 60 Minutes

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Not to start a cock fight here, but I find it really interesting that they said,

"While a jet pilot may fly 1 or 2 big missions in their career helicopter pilots see action every day."

Anyone here in the know that can expound on this? I seem to think that IDF/AF fighter types are pretty active... At least, that is what has been told to me.

phrogpilot73

Not to start a cock fight here, but I find it really interesting that they said,

"While a jet pilot may fly 1 or 2 big missions in their career helicopter pilots see action every day."

Anyone here in the know that can expound on this? I seem to think that IDF/AF fighter types are pretty active... At least, that is what has been told to me.
I don't know crap about the IAF, but based on my experiences in the U.S. military, I would say that it's the media being the media.

If you actually analyze the statements, then yes - helo guys see more action than fixed wing guys? Why? We have shorter range, so we're generally closer to the action. Also, jet guys may be on station for hours at a time in case something bad happens, and they never drop. Helo guys (and remember, there's all kinds of helo guys) do their job every day. My job as an assault support guy was to transport troops or cargo. I did that every day. I didn't need ROE to transport someone. I think that's what they're getting into...

FWIW - I didn't watch the video (the crappy wireless in my crappy hotel).

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Even in Israel, the number of actual strikes a fighter does has got to be pretty small. They just aren't bombing the crap out of the occupied territories that much, and they haven't had one of the IAF's legendary air-to-air fights in a number of years.

Like P73 said, assault support works every day delivering beans, bullets, and band-aids, and they probably are inserting patrols and such on a regular basis. Plus, those times that Israel does a strike in it's territories, is frequently is a Hellfire fired from an AH-64.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Look at the F-16I - It took the Israelis to

make a long-range strike a/c out of the F-16. The conformal tanks & improved avionics are all products of Israeli companies that add great value to the a/c they acquire from us.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
"Helo guys (and remember, there's all kinds of helo guys) do their job every day"

This statement, in this context is beyond hysterical. Good job insinuating that every fixed wing aviator generally launches for grins. If you think that "doing their job" for fixed wing means only bomb-dropping, then perhaps your argument would hold water. But last time I check, our fixed wing assets were more than just strikers.

In fact, I'm guessing that if they weren't around patrolling over head, not bomb-dropping (or "working" per your argument) then there might be significantly fewer helos around after red air shot them all down.

Picture this scenario, a C-130 full of diplomats is to drop off their pax in the southern no-fly zone and we provide air cover. Enemy aircraft are launched, we lock them up and they turn away. Doing our job?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
make a long-range strike a/c out of the F-16. The conformal tanks & improved avionics are all products of Israeli companies that add great value to the a/c they acquire from us.

Money and politics. We only allowed them to buy 30 F-15I's, likely for strategic concerns, and we were funding most of the buy for them anyways. So they helped develop the F-16I Soufa out of necessity, as a cheaper and readily available alternative and supplement to their Strike Eagles.

phrogpilot73

Not at all what I was suggesting. I was trying to put it in the context of the misinformed media, and why they would suggest helo guys see more action. That's all. I know that you guys earn you paycheck every day, and I'm not insinuating that only dropping bombs is your job. However, I think that's how the media interprets it.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I think looking at Fighters as a supression/preventitive weapon is pretty interesting (and accurate). Why doesn't the IAF get into dogfights? No one wants to tangle with them. To me, that means they are doing their job, and doing it well.

Not directed at any comments here, just a fact of the fighter community. Sometimes doing their job is not having to do their job (so to speak *simulated elbow pointing*).

PS- Us lowly Prowlers do our job on just about every launch, but I the IAF isn't exactly holding too many EA-6Bs in the hanger...

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
The Media is screwed up. I think we can all agree on that. I love the IAF, those guys see tons of action, both fixed and rotary.