• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Icing and Injury Prevention Tactics

zuggerat

Hey guys, did a few searches didn't find the answers so here is a few quick Q's for broken in or freshly graduated candidates/2nd Lt.'s...

1. How readily available is ice and wraps for the candidates if they feel shin splints, strains, tears, or muscle soreness setting in?

2. Are the corpsman going to note you and recommend light duty or is that that candidate's decision to take light duty?

3. Will the staff see this and take note as a weak candidate or is it that candidate's own business/perogative to obtain wraps/ice/whatever?

Thanks guys

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Care to post where you found the info? I have gouge from last summer but don't know if things have changed.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
here is how my company had it..

Ice was available on the quarterdeck each night for those that needed it.

The Corpsman arrived every morning before lights as well as after PT events for those that had something to report. He had the supplies for wraps kept in the medical locker which we could get access to.

The Corpsman didnt make the call on whether you would be placed on lightduty or not. That was up to the Docs at sickbay. The Corpsman made the decision on whether you would go to sickbay or not. For relatively minor things, he would give you the decision, but if it was huge then you had to go.

And yes, the staff does take note of those on lightduty. I believe if you were on for 6 consecutive days then you would go before the battalion board for NPQ.

zuggerat

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16635

^ That's where I got it.

Thanks for the responses anyways guys...

The Corpsman arrived every morning before lights as well as after PT events for those that had something to report. He had the supplies for wraps kept in the medical locker which we could get access to.

The Corpsman didnt make the call on whether you would be placed on lightduty or not. That was up to the Docs at sickbay. The Corpsman made the decision on whether you would go to sickbay or not. For relatively minor things, he would give you the decision, but if it was huge then you had to go.

And yes, the staff does take note of those on lightduty. I believe if you were on for 6 consecutive days then you would go before the battalion board for NPQ.

How recent was this?...

Carno

Insane

Same for when I was at OCS during the summer of '05 for class 189.

MasterHaynes86

Sounds right... corpsman showed up 0430 or so (earlier usually) to see ya... he recommended sick calls if they needed to be made. Midway through the PLC Jr we had a nasty rash start that dind't rended a candidate useless unless you pt heavily... like peoples legs were completely red, they backs, and arms. so we had nightly "FAce you bunk" checks where the corpsman did a blister check, asked you about the rash (if you had it) and looks at other cuts and scrapes lookin for cellulitis (we had 3 go home due to it, i believe)

I never got the rash, and on my firewatch (when it became a problem) i bleached the washers and told the next firewatch to do the same and to have the one after them start laundry back up... the staff made us get bleach so i figured we should use it... the next day they told us to use the bleach and the candidate plt sgt informed them we already had... the SSgt sorta smirked and said "do it again" as he walked off... we didn't have anymore rash breakouts...

And yes, the staff notes those who go on sick call, those who have serious hurts but endure, those who are injured and try to endure... heart seems to go a long way when it comes to evaluations and being invited back...