• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS question, apologize if it's been asked before

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Again, I apologize if this has been asked, but since I can't do an "IFS" search it makes it a little dificult.

So, my understanding is that you can do IFS prior to commissioning with a local flight school. Would this include myself as I have been guaranteed a spot in flight school (assuming of course I go through college with out a hitch :))? I would like to get my ppl while at school doing it on the weekends. Also, does anyone know of a website that has the break downs of IFS? Again, I apologize if this has been covered.

suicidechuck

if you get your ppl, then you won't be eligible for the IFS program and will start up at API right after TBS. A ppl will help, but the biggest help will be if you get some intrument training. Can be a double edged sword as there are times when bad habits are learned, but hey go for it, have a good time. If you do a solo cross country in a local flight school that will make you ineligible for IFS

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
slightly off topic from the original question, but would it be bad to do IFS if you already have civilian flight time? I've got my commercial pilot liscense/instrument rating, but I wouldn't mind the free flight time if it was offered to me. Wouldn't want to lie about it though....

rare21

pilot
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
slightly off topic from the original question, but would it be bad to do IFS if you already have civilian flight time? I've got my commercial pilot liscense/instrument rating, but I wouldn't mind the free flight time if it was offered to me. Wouldn't want to lie about it though....

no you're not eligible for IFS

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
Ok, so I took a look at the program overview and it says that midshipmen (not sure if I fall under this category or not, but for the time being I will assume that I do) with a large workload of 16 credits or more are not eligible. (Note: This is not a quote from the instruction, but it's pretty close)

So, this brings me to my questions. How difficult is it to get the ppl. If I were to go just on the weekends would it take a very long time or is this a reasonable thing?

suicidechuck

not eligible for IFS? My understanding is that most guys are doing it before or after TBS, so you'd be done with school at that point. As for getting a ppl on the weekends, it wouldn't be an unthinkable task, and it wouldn't take an extremely long time. Most guys can get a private pilots license with around 40 hours of flight time. I don't IFS had a huge impact on my ability to perform well at flight school. The guys who have a few hundred hours and some instrument flight time were the ones who seemed to have an advantage. Good Luck

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
suicidechuck said:
not eligible for IFS? My understanding is that most guys are doing it before or after TBS...
Most guys don't go to TBS.

BT

SpyGuy, you've been around here enough to know that a PPL isn't going to have much (if any at all) impact on your success in Primary. So, I (and we) will save the lectures on that topic and assume that you want to do this for fun, out of curiosity, etc. With that in mind, it is entirely possible to get your PPL while in school. I got mine while I was going through the nuke pipeline. I think if you just focus on weekends though, you may end up screwing yourself. If you only limit yourself to being available 2 days a week, it will undoubtedly take you longer (and more $$) to get the ticket.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again, as rare21 said, if you have a PPL you are not authorized for IFS. If the Navy finds out you did it anyways, you could be standing tall in front of a long table.

See the instruction ref'd above on IFS. A good read and will delineate whether or not you qualify for IFS.

r/
G

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
Schnuggapup said:
Again, as rare21 said, if you have a PPL you are not authorized for IFS. If the Navy finds out you did it anyways, you could be standing tall in front of a long table.

G

I was mainly wondering if I could use IFS to help towards a ppl. However, having read the instruction it doesn't look like I'm currently eligible for it anyways.

Also, thanks for the link.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, it can add up to your PPL. IFS for pilots is longer and requires a medical class 3, I believe. That is all loggable towards your PPL. NIFS is shorter and has no solo time so requires no medical which you would need for a PPL.

Lots of people in pools just continue and get a PPL if they have the time and money after completion of IFS.

r/
G

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I did IFS in Destin, and my instructor told me that it would likely take about $1000-$1500 worth of additional instruction to get my PPL, depending on various factors (how often I flew, how well I flew, etc.) YMMV, of course.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squorch2 said:
I did IFS in Destin, and my instructor told me that it would likely take about $1000-$1500 worth of additional instruction to get my PPL, depending on various factors (how often I flew, how well I flew, etc.) YMMV, of course.

Got mine after IFS and it took me 5-6 months and about $1-1.5K. I think Pensacola Aviation was trying to milk me for a little money, but not too badly.