• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS to PPL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
I just found out today that I have to do IFS as an SNFO. I was told it would be 10 days. How can I translate this into a PPL? I figure if I'm going to get part of the training, I might as well finish it up. Has anyone else gone this route? Experiences?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For a PPL you'll need a minimum of 40 hrs. There is also a certain number of solo hrs, simulated instrument hrs, and cross-country hours that are part of the total 40 hrs time. You should be able to pick up where you left off in IFS with any CFI. If you get stuck in A-pool like the SNAs seem to be, I would think you could easily finish your PPL in a month or two. I did it over a summer. I am pre-OCS though, so I cannot give you any firsthand knowledge about actually going from IFS to PPL. I hope I was somewhat helpful.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
If I do it, I'll have to do it after I start the training because I was supposed to class up this coming friday. IFS was thrust upon me at the last minute, so my class-up date is being pushed back until I do the IFS.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Most of the IFS stuff that NFOs do is instrument flight with the instructors. You do a different program than the SNAs, not as many hours. Not sure how it would transfer to getting a PPL. Once you finish IFS the IPs at the flight school don't have to give you as much attention, so it usually takes longer to get the hours for a PPL than the hours for IFS. Definitely check into it, but you wouldn't want to start it and spend a lot of money then find out you're starting API and don't have time to finish.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Time to finish will also depend on weather and if you fly the same aircraft as in IFS. I did IFS at Eglin and got my PPL at Pensacola Regional. Not only did I fall afoul of Eglin's "cross-country" scam (my solo cross country really didn't count as such for my license) but the school flew Piper Tomahawks instead of C172s, and made me resolo in a Tomahawk before I could pick up where I left off. Between that, and redoing all my XC hours, AND getting the required instrument time, AND getting the required night time, AND weather considerations, I finished mine up in about 4mos and 60.8 hours of total time. Your mileage may vary.

wannabef18pilot

I posted a similiar question on the "PPL thread".

For you current SNAs, is the flight time you get during IFS sufficient enough to be ready for Primary, or is it better to invest some of your own money and get more hours before IFS?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.