• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ifs

bradler

For those who have completed IFS... I have had my private pilots license for 4 years but have not flown for the last 2. Do I need to do IFS? I remember a few things about the training and still feel pretty confident in a cokcpit but I feel like I would me behind the power curve due to it not being fresh in my memory. Should I do IFS for refresher course? Or just head to P-town? I don't want to be behind, anything covered in IFS that might help my transition down in Pensacola?

gotta_fly

pilot
You won't have any say; since you have your PPL you are ineligible to enroll in IFS. See you down here!

bradler

No say? I have heard from a few that if you tell them you have a PPL you won't and if you just stay hush you do IFS. That is were I am at right now... crossroads. I have only logged about 80hrs of flight time.

sestvold

They will find out if you have a PPL. The purpose of IFS is to screen people to see if they like and can handle flying. If you hide the fact that you have a PPL and you are enrolled in IFS, you are defrauding the government.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Lying is not a good way to start off your flight training (it will be lying because you are asked numerous times about any prior flight experience). It may suck in your mind but you're not the one in control. You go where you are told when you are told, in the correct uniform, prepared for the day.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
I've heard of people with their PPL (and higher) going through IFS. I mean you're not really defrauding anyone if they never technically ask you.. but if they say 'do you have your ppl?' and you blatantly lie, that could end up causing some trouble.

In response to above: Well i'm not in the program or anything, but apparently they ask you so I would not recommend lying. It's not worth risking the loss of your flight career for 25 hours. If you feel rusty, go get a few hours at some part 161 school.

Crowbar

None
For the fine upstanding officers reading this thread who are thinking about lying, just know that anybody can search the FAA database and find out if you have any kind of pilot certificate. Special what and confidence?

gotta_fly

pilot
They will ask, and if they don't it's your responsibility as an sailor and an officer to tell the truth. The regulations clearly state who may and who may not enroll in IFS. If you know you shouldn't and you do, even if they fail to ask you, you are committing fraud.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
For those who have completed IFS... I have had my private pilots license for 4 years but have not flown for the last 2. Do I need to do IFS? I remember a few things about the training and still feel pretty confident in a cokcpit but I feel like I would me behind the power curve due to it not being fresh in my memory. Should I do IFS for refresher course? Or just head to P-town? I don't want to be behind, anything covered in IFS that might help my transition down in Pensacola?

While I never did IFS so I don't know exactly what I am talking about, I certainly have spent my fair share of time bumping around in a Cessna and other light civil aircraft. That said, why the hell would you ever want to get into a Cessna again? You want to be a military aviator right? IMHO best cut to the chase. The T-34C is a lot different.....you are not going to pick up much in a short extra 25 hrs of Cessna time that you don't already have. At least for a prior time pilot, it's not the stick and monkey skills you need, it is everything else (course rules, new procedures, different kind of radio discipline, twice the speed at which things happen much of the time). I was 5 years out of the cockpit (save a few hours here and there) when I did Fam 1, and it was extremely different than any other flying I have done. At the same time, it all does come back. If you think you will get "current" again in IFS, even if you were at the end of it, you still have months to go until you are even in Primary, let alone flying a T-34. On the upside, you will class up a lot faster for API if you don't do IFS, and you will fly the orange and white planes quicker that way too. Just my .02

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I've heard of people with their PPL (and higher) going through IFS. I mean you're not really defrauding anyone if they never technically ask you.. but if they say 'do you have your ppl?' and you blatantly lie, that could end up causing some trouble.

In response to above: Well i'm not in the program or anything, but apparently they ask you so I would not recommend lying. It's not worth risking the loss of your flight career for 25 hours. If you feel rusty, go get a few hours at some part 161 school.

1. I have never heard this (nor did I see it when I went through). Unless they lied and weren't caught, I doubt it.

2. They do ask you. Blatantly. You actually fill out a form identifying your flight experience. Go ahead and lie... see what happens. If I can go and check out what ratings you have, Big Navy can do a lot more.

3. It's part 141/142/61. There's no such thing as a part 161 school. You're thinking of Part 61.

4. Unless you have direct experience with the subject matter, I'd let someone more experienced answer.

Bottom line: The extra time in the cessna won't help you in the T-34, so the only possible effect is that it creates another step which could possibly attrite you. (unlikely, I know, but it is the only net effect).

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
If you feel the need to lie for 25hrs/5k of flight training you have no business being a Naval Officer. If you feel that rusty go rent a plane with your ppl and fly around. You will not learn any Navy type flying in IFS so don't put your career in jeopardy

bradler

wow...wow...wow First off I never planned on lying. I have more integrity than that. I was just curious because we are coming to that point at TBS and I have heard many things about people who have a PPL still go and those who have a PPL and don't. It was made to sound like the the student had the choice to say whether they were current or not. Which I am not current. So closed story.. I never planned to lie just asked if it would be a good refresher to do it.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Yea no fault in trying to get the info. The only people I have heard getting IFS with prior hours are those having prior time but did not do the solo cross country or have a ppl. Example: guy with 30 hrs in civilian A/C has to do IFS because he does not have his liscense. Not sure what the exact instruction says, but that is what a friend of mine is having to do.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
No say? I have heard from a few that if you tell them you have a PPL you won't and if you just stay hush you do IFS. That is were I am at right now... crossroads. I have only logged about 80hrs of flight time.

The crossroads of omitting the truth or telling the truth.

...First off I never planned on lying...I never planned to lie just asked if it would be a good refresher to do it.

So if the rules state you can't go why ask if you never 'planned' on being deceptive? It seems once you were confronted by your peers, you 'chose' the correct path. That would be the path that never had a crossroads in the first place.

Flame intended as you chose to put your **** on the chopping block by posting this question and then "taking the high road."