• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I'm SOOOOO relieved....

Status
Not open for further replies.

vballindaytona

sounds good mike. i got meps on tuesday. my eyes are 20/40 on a good day and on a bad day i miss like two letters on the line. KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED, AND EATING CRAPLOADS OF CARROTS.

jonathan

uncledave

Hello Michael,
I was wondering what you mean by 20/20. Do you mean 20/20 in each eye seperately or both? I have gotten prk performed on me but my right is 20/25. My left eye is 20/20 and together they are 20/15. Any thoughts on this? Can i still get the waivor? Anyways, good luck with getting your waivor!

vballindaytona

i believe that you have to be 20/40 correctable to 20/20 even w/ prk. just b/c you have had the prk does not mean that you have to be 20/20 uncorrected. yes, if your 20/20, and 20/25 then your eligable for the waiver. correct me if im wrong michael.

jonathan

uncledave

Michael,
Thanks for answering so fast. I feel much better knowing that I can still get a waivor with my right eye being only 20/25. One more question I have, did they do any kind of test for haze on you and if not will they later? I have no haze whatsoever but I heard that they check your pupil size to see "if" you will have haze. Something to do with the area on your cornea that had the surgery may be smaller than how big your pupil gets at night, but i'm not sure about this completely. Any thoughts on this? Again thanks for the info.

uncledave

Hi guys,
I have one or two more questions regarding the prk and the waivor process. How does the test that they give prk study applicants differ from those given to regular applicants? I heard that they check for halos or starburst complications that might affect nightime flying. How do they test for this and would a civilian doctor be able to check for it? Thanks

Paul Burke

That's odd. When I went through MEPS they did everything except the depth perception tests with the lights off. The room being lit from the lights in the hallway. They did it that way for everyone. Eye surgery or not.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The dimly lit test involves letters which are not as dark as the standard letters, it uses the same ambient room lighting. It is part of the process for all PRK waiver applicants and I'm sure they have their reasons for doing it. As far as being stupid and saying "Yeah, I've got haloes", that wouldn't be stupid at all. Haloes would definitely cause a degrading of night vision and perhaps impair your ability to operate at night. This could be a safety hazard to yourself as well as others. Lying to get ahead is not the way to go. It may sound trite, but you always have to be thinking of the core values of Honor, Courage and Commitment.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone above you draws the line. This is because they have more knowledge on the subject than you. You're right, small haloes may not impair vision, but the docs still want to know if you have them. This is all part of the study. Same with allergies, they're rarely a problem at all, and usually won't NPQ a person, but its still wrong to deny them. There are reasons that they ask every question, whether it may be a disqualifying condition or something to give them a better overall picture of your health. Bottom line- it's not your call to make. They ask, you answer honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.