• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Impact of Age?

Bernie Kosar

This is a question that no one may have an answer too…. Nevertheless, I felt compelled to ask it anyway. I am 23 and will be 24 (and a few months) after I finish graduate school. Will my “old” age impact my application (I know the Marines have a bunch of 21 and 22 year old guys to choose from)? I do fully realize that all I can do is apply and reapply and reapply again (until I’m 27)…. But I was wondering if any “old” guys like me have been accepted lately?

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
OCS Age Limits 17-27

Age only truly plays a part in selection if you're going to be older than age 27 at the time of commissioning because then you would need a waiver for the Marine Corps. Age waivers for those looking to go to Marine Corps Officer Candidates Schools are not received well for the most part. Even if you have prior service experience. If you want to be a pilot and you will be over the age of 27.5 at the time of commissioning, it's nearly impossible to get a waiver. I hope this helps.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Keep in mind, 24 isn't that "Old". In fact, I know more than a few people who were 22-24 when they finished undergrad. I think what wink has mentioned a few times is if you're 26 or 27 by commissioning (and don't need a waiver) and all things being equal when compared to a 22 yr old applicant, they'll give the nod to the younger guy (but again, that's the Navy...not sure if the Marines care as much).

pdx

HSM Pilot
As long as you are under the age cut, you are not "old" as far as the Navy or Marine Corps is concerned. Grad school is not a huge factor, but it will be a plus (for the extra degree), not a minus (for the years spent).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As long as you are under the age cut, you are not "old" as far as the Navy or Marine Corps is concerned. Grad school is not a huge factor, but it will be a plus (for the extra degree), not a minus (for the years spent).

I'm pretty sure Wink has been putting out that age IS a factor and that older people are, generally speaking, less competitive.

Brett

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
I first spoke to an OSO at 24 and went to OCS at 25. There were LTs in my TBS company who were as old as 28. Most are now in A-pool. You're not even old enough to rate the "old guy jokes" at OCS/TBS.