• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Impossible Formation Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
I was browsing Airliners.net and came across this photo:

unreal.jpg

You can see the link HERE.

At first I didn't belive that this was a real photo. The guys says it is from an airshow, but I was sure it was photoshopped. I couldn't understand how anyone could fly formation without a visual checkpoint.

After closer inspection, the only realistic thing I could come up with would be if the lower plane is offset more than it looks (because of the camera angle) and he is actually "lead". That way "wing" might be able to actually see him. Either way, I've got to give the T-birds props for this.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this in person?

PS: I know the Blues fly something similar, but it is canopy to canopy, right?

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
Either photoshop or they are farther apart horizontally than you think. They dont fly that close together. There would be a lot of dead thuderbirds if they were practicing for that.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Yep, those are the thunderbirds, and thats a real picture. They are a GREAT show to see in person. I've seen that trick at their airshows, they are just good. I think the lower plane is actually closer to ther camera by serveral feet (note the top pilot looking down and the plane below and their little fin looking things not lining up perfectly.) but at the speed they do it at, you can't really tell as they fly past the crowd, its just awesome.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
That's an illusion--they've actually got some lateral separation. I've got pictures somewhere of the Thunderbirds when they were at Eglin last year that show this...

Standby,

Tripp.

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I had those burned to CD...and I must've lost it in my last move. F***!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Note Thunderbird #5. Specifically the number on his intake. It's apparently a tradition with the team that since #5 spends so much time inverted during the course of the show, his number is put on the jet upside down!

B

Blutonski816

I've seen the Thunderbirds perform. There is a healthy amount of separation involved there. The photographer jsut happened to get lucky and snap that photo...

Pay attention and you can actually see a small difference in size between the two aircraft...

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I was at the 2003 Dayton air show, where the Blues, the Tbirds, and the Canadian team (Snowbirds?) performed all in the same day. The Tbirds were nowhere near as close/tight as the Blues. Still impressive, considering they're AF, but not as good as the Blues.

KBayDog

gregsivers said:
The Tbirds were nowhere near as close/tight as the Blues. Still impressive, considering they're AF, but not as good as the Blues.

Would you as good as the Blues if you were spitting distance from Vegas? Me either.

(If I started flight training in Nellis, I would be an adjutant by now...)

T-man

Also if you look at sunligh/shadows on the pic, you can tell that the 2 birds are fairly significantly seperated horizontally. The sun is hitting the intake of #5, the inverted bird, but the sun is on the far side of both birds (notice the shado running below/behind the cockpit of the top bird.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
So there was someone on the grassy knoll!

I think we've all figured this one out now. It is interesting how the air show bubbas use visual illusions to make things look more spectacular. I know the Blues do that dual aileron roll that makes it look like they slap wings.

All these teams are amazing without any smoke or mirrors though. I'd be happy with a fraction of their flying skills. Right now I have enough trouble keeping the Goshawk s&l...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
handjive said:
I'd be happy with a fraction of their flying skills. Right now I have enough trouble keeping the Goshawk s&l...

Going through Primary definitely increased my respect for those guys. I realize as Joe Blow off the street I had no clue just how much skill it takes . . .

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just look at relative length of intake and nose. No 5 bird is longer and therefore closer as suggested by earlier poster. Of course, don't try this at home......

Speaking of not trying things at home....surprised nobody mentioned the .mpg that has made it around the world at least a couple times showing the former Blue Angel Hornet pilot doing a low flyby the ship inverted with his nose between the tails of a Tomcat. Wasn't CAG surprised!!!!! Definitely a keeper as I don't think it will be repeated and not because Tomcats are going away either.

B

Blutonski816

I've seen that...

I think it was a Change of Command Cereomony for CVW-17...
outgoing CAG was a Hornet guy, the new CAG was an F-14 RIO, Dana Potts...

At least thats what I heard...

Anyone from CVW-17 during April '02 who can verify??

Fred

Blutonski816 said:
I've seen that...

I think it was a Change of Command Cereomony for CVW-17...
outgoing CAG was a Hornet guy, the new CAG was an F-14 RIO, Dana Potts...

At least thats what I heard...

Anyone from CVW-17 during April '02 who can verify??

That pic was taken in 2000. Walsh was the CAG and Smudge Potts was DCAG. It was not a COC.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dana related story to me, but can't remember date being mentioned. I'll ask him.

Status
Not open for further replies.