• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

In need of advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokescreen

Ok fellow aviators and future aviators alike. I'd like to hear from some of you guys that got a late start going into the Navy. First I'm 25 and will graduating from college with an engineering degree next Spring which by that time I'll be 26. At which point I'll go to OCS and after that start NFO training. Some questions have been brought up by friends and family concerning my age as well as the honesty of recruiters .

The age part, the question is obvious. Is 26 starting to get too old to go in and be able to come out as a high ranking officer. (i.e. Capt. or Admiral)?

The question about honesty is basically have any of you been told one thing only to later find out it wasn't true? For example: "Sign your contract thinking you were to become a Pilot or NFO only to find out you signed for some thing else?"

Lastly, I'd like to ask a personal question. Do any of you regret going in or has it been everything you hoped it would be?

To be a Naval Aviator has been my life long dream as it has for many of you out there and I thought here would be the best place to get some straight answers. Thanks in advance.

Smoke

Gator

I wouldn't let your age be a factor in considering whether or not you join the Navy. I'm 28 also going into the Navy to become an aviator. I never considered my age as being a limiting factor in regards to possible promotions or career ambitions. Even if I only make it to Lt Cmdr, I'd be happy. My sole reason for going back into the military is hopefully fly fighters, but no matter what I'll be flying something. As far as the honesty of your recruiter, I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure that your contract says what it should before you sign it and you'll be alright. I never regretted my first enlistment and I surely don't regret my current one. There are always going to be things that you don't like about your service in the military, but that's no different than a job in civilian market. In my opinion the good times outweigh the bad ones by a landslide.

Jeff29

Science Project
You're still a baby! I enlisted at age 25 (college program), was commissioned at age 27, and will be starting flight school just a few weeks before 30.

Someone correct me here if I'm wrong, but I highly doubt that age will be a problem with regards to promotion. Can you imagine the headlines: "The Navy and Age Discrimination"?

Smokescreen

Thanks guys! That's helps alot. Alot of this apprehension stems from hearing stories about people getting drummed out of the service cause they are seen as being too old and are no longer useful in their community. Grunt... any thoughts on this? The other question would be... how valuable are you going to be in the civilian world if you choice to leave military service? I'm hoping to be a lifer but you've got to look at all your options and possibilites.

Smoke

Grunt

I don't think your age will be an issue. Remember that you have guys who go to OCS in other fields even older than we are. I was in the Army Infantry school with a guy who turned 34 while in OCS. He was the absolute MAN and got nothing but additional respect for his age. The bottom line is whether or not you can do your job at any age, rank, or duty position. The only concern would be if you ran into mandatory retirement age but as of now you still have room for a good 30 years of service or so. In fact, I knew some guys who went through school, then through the Infantry school, then showed up at their units at 22 years old and it was the first time in their lives that they had money AND freedom. That caused them some initial problems. I figure that a bit of advanced age going into aviation training might help out guys like us in focusing on the tasks at hand. Perhaps that will give us the edge we need over the 21 year olds with super nintendo reflexes. Besides, we old guys will stick together. Can't let the young bucks have all the fun.

As for some of the other things you mentioned in your initial post, I don't think you have any reason not to go for it. I've already had a successful military "career" and made the transition to a comfortable civilian life that will do better than just pay the mortgage for a long time. But flying military aircraft has long been a dream of mine, like everyone else here, and for me it is well worth putting all this that I now have on the line in exchange for the chance to live that dream. I say go for it, because I don't think you'll regret your decision.

Mike the Grunt

postman8

Howdy, I'm new the forum.

I am an engineering student in college applying to be an NFO too. I will graduate in may and report (hopefully- should hear in next week or 2)to OCC 180 at Quantico in June. I'm on the younger end of the applicant pool though, just 21.

Does anybody know any good books, websites, etc to find information on NFOs? It doesn't really have the glamor of being a pilot and is much harder to find info. The best source I found so far was Tom Clancy's Carrier and that had all of about 3 pages devoted to NFO training. I'm looking for stuff on Marine NFOs in particular but anything in general would be great too since the training at pensacola is the same for everyone to start. USMC NFOs end up in either the Hornet or the Prowler. Anybody have any idea what % of guys go to each? You need 3 NFOs for each prowler and only 1 for a hornet, but I'm not sure how many flight crews are needed for each aircraft.

Air Warriors-Great website. Thanks for all the work that went into it. Good luck and God Bless to everyone on here as the get ready for OCS, Flight school, or whatever your next challenge is.

PS before anybody applying to the Navy jumps on me, not ALL Hornets are 1 seaters. The Marines fly the "D" version of the F-18 which has a pilot and an NFO.

Brooklyn

"You're still a baby! I enlisted at age 25 (college program), was commissioned at age 27"

I was told you have to be commissioned before your 27th B-day for pilot slots. Is this flexible?

Status
Not open for further replies.