• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Indian Navy and their new MiG-29K..."Paddles to the Platform!"

Raptor2216

Man that looks like a hell of an approach and T/O and those engines sure are smokey. Would it safe to say that the Russian setup is a little more "dangerous" than what we have? The pilot sure was adding a ton of power right before he trapped before touch down...did he just screw up?? The deck also looks fairly small...leaves little room for error. Cool video/plane though.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
/threadjack

Do the Russians have LSOs on their carriers? I saw their version of the ball in the video, but no LSO platform.

/end threadjack

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Man that looks like a hell of an approach and T/O and those engines sure are smokey. Would it safe to say that the Russian setup is a little more "dangerous" than what we have? The pilot sure was adding a ton of power right before he trapped before touch down...did he just screw up?? The deck also looks fairly small...leaves little room for error. Cool video/plane though.
I'm not a Paddles, but it seems like that first approach (if the Rooskie PLAT cam operates like ours) was some variant of LIM TMPCOIC -B. Looks like he was low, overcontrolled it and blew it off the top, or just got waved off in close. The others later on seemed like normal traps, no abrupt flattening out or goosing on of the power in close. Maybe Nose, A4s, or 129 Paddles could chime in . . .

Edit: I only watched the first 2 minutes or so . . .

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
The guy at time 4:19 damn near demonstrated a ramp strike. Go knows there are is enough video out there to prove that Russian ejection seats work.

It'll be comical to see how well those 29's hold up after a few years at sea.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
How badly does the ramp affect its loadout? I didn't any of them with external tanks and doesn't it already have short legs in the first place?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
With those very Low slung intakes I hope these fellas do A LOT of FOD walking! Also, by looking at the amount of smoke that WAS coming out the engines while he was flying his approach - it appears that he brings the throttles back towards idle upon touchdown - could be wrong but all that smoke sure goes away really quickly (may just be from the reduced air going in the front end?). Any of you pointy nose guys ever done any joint exercises with 29's?