• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Indians name French Rafale & Eurofighter as finalists in their fighter competition

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
IMHO, those were the 2 worst options available to them. The Rafale has never yet had a foreign sale and costs $100MM/per copy. The Eurofighter costs even more (~$125MM), and I would ask current fighter jocks to opine on its abilities in the Air-to-mud role. My understanding is that its a very good a/c for the air-to-air mission, but mediocre as a bomber.
The Super Hornet+ (with CFTs, internal IRST & 26000lb thrust F414 engines) was available for half the price and the Saab Gripen was also available for much less than either of the other 2 european fighters. Maybe the Indians just felt they needed to buy from Europe because they've already bought the C-17, C-130J & the P-8.
I would be interested in what others think about this decision. It is an order for 126 a/c & a $10bn buy. It would have been a big deal for the future of the Super Hornet. I was hoping they would select the Super F so that they could pay for the updates to the a/c & the US Navy could buy it later at a better price.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Did the EU agreed to buy something from India? Just thinking there might have been some "reciprocal love" in the deal.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Did the EU agreed to buy something from India? Just thinking there might have been some "reciprocal love" in the deal.

Don't know, but don't think so. The Rafale, Eurofighter, Gripen & Hornet have been the "leaders" in this 3-yr old process for some time. India has a nascent aviation industry, but it has no products likely to get an order from Europe. That said, I wouldn't put it past Airbus (the world's best bribers, if not aircraft builders) to agree to some sweetheart pricing to Indian air carriers (very fast-growing market) if they also agreed to buy the Eurofighter or Rafale.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I wonder what the overall performance difference is between the aircraft?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Selling arms to India is a brutally painful process. Technology sharing and industrial give-backs will have been important factors in the decision, but politics is a major driver as well, which is why they really aren't anywhere close to finishing a deal for awhile (and given India's recent military acquisition history, the "winner" likely has many years of suffering in front of them with no guarantees of a contract being implemented anytime soon).

As a side note, the U.S. tends to fall short in the technology sharing department in the eyes of many countries.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
. . . and Pakistan has a bag of F-16s. Not good to have planes exactly like your biggest enemy's.

Which is why HS-2/HSC-12 has an American Flag painted on the side of the aircraft...

In 1970, HS-2 was the first helicopter squadron to travel across the United States for deployment on the USS INDEPENDENCE home ported on the East Coast. In that year, the squadron deployed with U.S. Forces responding to the Jordanian Crisis. HS-2 prepared to go into Amman, Jordan for the evacuation of U.S. citizens and to provide a CSAR asset for the Battle Group. It was during 1970 that HS-2’s signature American flag appeared on the aircraft. The flags were painted overnight so the helicopters could be distinguished from the Israeli H 3's, which were operating in the combat zone. To commemorate the event, the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) authorized the flags to become a permanent part of HS 2's paint scheme. As a result of its superior performance during that period, the squadron was awarded the Navy Unit Commendation.

http://hsc12.ahf.nmci.navy.mil/history.html

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Well, it hasn't hurt Boeing's stock price at all.

The Boeing guys re-deistributed their new engine propaganda onto the ready room table this week. Now I know why.