• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Infamous Tales of Whisper Jets

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
We left four (4) weakest pilot/BN combo's with the beach-det @ CUBI w/ a couple of birds ... HEY!!! .... they'll be safe there, right?? RIGHT ???

Until two of 'em brought an A-6 into the CUBI break @ warp-overdrive ... THEY WERE GONNA' BE SOMEBODY (!!!!) ... and shut down both engines when he chopped the throttles ... and they didn't pop the RAT to get a re-light ... and they punched over by Grande Is.

Very jolly ... :)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Until two of 'em brought an A-6 into the CUBI break @ warp-overdrive ... THEY WERE GONNA' BE SOMEBODY (!!!!) ... and shut down both engines when he chopped the throttles ... and they didn't pop the RAT to get a re-light ... and they punched over by Grande Is.

I went diving in Subic Bay a ton of times, none of the diver masters ever mentioned an A-6 in the water. Did they pull it?

The only aircraft on the dive charts was an F-4 which was about a 2 hour boat ride away and the dive shops didn't want to go that far out.

Pugs

Back from the range
None

Very jolly ... :)

Here we are 30 years later and it comes up. They succeeded in being "those guys" :) maybe not the way they thought but...

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I was just going back through a few older posts and ran upon the story of the Prowler that did something similar at Fallon...

Word on the street is that planes shaped like turkey legs really NEED those engines if they want to do anything but fall.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I was just going back through a few older posts and ran upon the story of the Prowler that did something similar at Fallon....

Lot of years ago. There was an AFC after that that made it impossible to shut both throttles off at once.

It's still possible to shut off one throttle and then the other Engine Fuel Master on an FCF though. Gets real quiet. ;)

Not going to say who did it but to his credit there was a verbal check on the throttle that was off and which EFM the hand was on before it was switched off. Who says we can't learn?

blackbart22

pilot
During an airshow pratice for JCOC guests (pronounced jay cocks by the troops) there was a bow to stern flyby that started with an F-4 plugged into an A-3. As they neared the ship the F-4 was to back out and an A-6 was to plug in, all at 400'. The A-6 was overrunning the basket and the driver (junior guy) pulled back both throttles and shut down both engines. The BN (an O-4) didn't stick around to see what else would happen and punched. The driver somehow got one lit and didn't hit the water. The helo picked up the BN and after an emergency pull forward, the A-6 came aboard with a big hole in the right canopy and a black pole sticking up through it. One of the JCOC guys (a big gun from International Harvester) who watched the whole thing said to me, "Wow, I didn't realize that in-flight refueling was so dangerous." I just nodded.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
F-14A_VF-84_VerticalMk82.JPEG

Part of the brief of any F-14A vertical PHOTOEX was the what to do when subject of photo and the wingman coughed both motors as they ran out of airspeed. In this photo shoot, the inevitable happened and we pushed away while control authority was still present. In the Tomcat, this also meant your INS would be TU, fun times!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I went diving in Subic Bay a ton of times, none of the diver masters ever mentioned an A-6 in the water. Did they pull it?
Probably ... in fact I'm certain they pulled it.

I've got a B&W photo floating around somewhere from the investigation that shows the sorry, sorry Intruder tail complete w/ squadron insignia sticking out of the water (very bad for PR) near the beach to the immediate north of Grande just across the channel.

The two guys came down in shallow water and some Marines who were on the north side of the bay entrance (and north of Grande Island) waded/swam out into the water and pulled the two guys into shore ...

Both crewmembers got the boot -- the pilot later became a priest. I guess it had the desired 'effect' on him ... :)

Semper Fi ...