• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Infantry Officer to Naval Aviator Is it possible?

NickRuiz

Good morning all,

I am currently an active duty Marine infantry officer trying to make a lateral move to aviation. I know that the Marine Corps offers the field accession boards as a way for us Earth dwellers to become pilots and I will be submitting a package for this option. However, in the event that I am not selected I was wondering if anyone knows if it’s possible to inter service transfer to the Navy to become a pilot? I’ve had some Navy recruiters tell me it’s possible and others say that I would have to finish my contract with the USMC and then go through Navy OCS and start at the bottom again. Thank you for your time and help with this.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Good morning all,

I am currently an active duty Marine infantry officer trying to make a lateral move to aviation. I know that the Marine Corps offers the field accession boards as a way for us Earth dwellers to become pilots and I will be submitting a package for this option. However, in the event that I am not selected I was wondering if anyone knows if it’s possible to inter service transfer to the Navy to become a pilot? I’ve had some Navy recruiters tell me it’s possible and others say that I would have to finish my contract with the USMC and then go through Navy OCS and start at the bottom again. Thank you for your time and help with this.
Well, I went from infantry sergeant to naval aviator so basically, sure, it could happen. Inter-service transfers for commissioned officers are possible but I imagine that would be quite a lift. I seriously doubt you would have to go through OCS again, someone is poking fun at you. . I know navy SWOs who transferred to the army and they just had to go through their branch basic course. Navy OCS is no longer aviation focused (like the old AOCS) so you would likely enter the Pensacola pipeline as if you were a newly minted ROTC or academy officer just at your current rank. SECNAVINST 1000.7F (Marines Corps Commandant Manpower Management) MCO 1001.65 should cover it all.

exNavyOffRec

Good morning all,

you need to contact the Aviation OCM for the USN, they can tell you if there are any open spots for your YG and what hoops you need to jump through.

Coolace27

I'm an Army logistics 1LT currently in the process of doing a interservice transfer to Navy SWO. You'll definitely need to talk to the Aviation OCM to see if there's an accession quota available. Additionally, I'd seek getting a conditional acceptance letter from the OCM for said quota. I wouldn't submit a package without this assurance. I submitted mine back in May, Army approved it in July, BUPERS-31 approved it and I'm currently awaiting the SECNAV to sign it. SECNAV 1000.7G should get you started and pointed in the right direction.

SlickAg

pilot
There has to be more to it than just “join the ANG and they will train you to be a pilot” right?
I mean they’re probably going to want to like you in order to choose you...but that’s pretty much about it. You legit rush the squadron you want to join, and the folks there see if they think you’d be a good fit or not. They’re hiring you for the duration, not just some three year fleet tour. If this is a path in which you’re interested you should definitely check out Guard Reserve Mafia on Instagram. Seriously not joking. You’ll get clued in fairly quick. Non active-duty is definitely the way to go if you can swing it.

(As far as the Navy is concerned, USNR >>>>> USN, but of course you have to do your active time first.)

I don’t know if it was AFR or ANG as well but they also have a deal where you go to UPT “unsponsored” and then they assign you to a unit that needs someone prior to track select so you can go to the appropriate advanced trainer.

snake020

Contributor
Good morning all,

As @Coolace27 and @exNavyOffRec have said, you'll need to negotiate directly with the Navy Aviation OCM. I did an interservice transfer from AF to Navy in 2007, and the quota is negotiated directly with the Navy community you're trying to transfer into.

You will not have to complete OCS again. You keep your rank and date of rank when you transfer.

The wild card here is your USMC commitment. The AF was allowing early outs due to force shaping when I left and gave me a conditional release. Under most circumstances, your service will likely not release you until you complete your initial four year active duty service commitment.

Coolace27

As @Coolace27 and @exNavyOffRec have said, you'll need to negotiate directly with the Navy Aviation OCM. I did an interservice transfer from AF to Navy in 2007, and the quota is negotiated directly with the Navy community you're trying to transfer into.

You will not have to complete OCS again. You keep your rank and date of rank when you transfer.

The wild card here is your USMC commitment. The AF was allowing early outs due to force shaping when I left and gave me a conditional release. Under most circumstances, your service will likely not release you until you complete your initial four year active duty service commitment.
I can attest to this as my transfer is contingent upon me finishing my obligated service to the Army, 3 years for OCS grads. You will keep your rank and go straight to flight school or BDOC in my case, but may take a hit as far as TIG and year group. For instance, I would make O3 SEP 2021 staying in the Army. While the Navy is bringing me over as an O2, my rank currently, my DOR will start the day I transfer so I would essentially be starting over. Just something to consider.

PMPT

I mean they’re probably going to want to like you in order to choose you...but that’s pretty much about it. You legit rush the squadron you want to join, and the folks there see if they think you’d be a good fit or not. They’re hiring you for the duration, not just some three year fleet tour. If this is a path in which you’re interested you should definitely check out Guard Reserve Mafia on Instagram. Seriously not joking. You’ll get clued in fairly quick. Non active-duty is definitely the way to go if you can swing it.

(As far as the Navy is concerned, USNR >>>>> USN, but of course you have to do your active time first.)

I don’t know if it was AFR or ANG as well but they also have a deal where you go to UPT “unsponsored” and then they assign you to a unit that needs someone prior to track select so you can go to the appropriate advanced trainer.

My brother is a guard guy and strongly recommends it. In fact, I regret not pursuing this option myself in hindsight, knowing what I do now, but oh well. It is what it is. Strongly recommend if you can swing it. You will likely need to get at least a PPL. Only downside of course is having to guard bum in the meantime unless you can pick up an AGR slot or until you are able to get taken on with an airline.

Last edited:

snake020

Contributor
You will keep your rank and go straight to flight school or BDOC in my case, but may take a hit as far as TIG and year group. For instance, I would make O3 SEP 2021 staying in the Army. While the Navy is bringing me over as an O2, my rank currently, my DOR will start the day I transfer so I would essentially be starting over. Just something to consider.

This is to your benefit. Seniority works against you when starting flight school and then eventually trying to line up aviation career milestones.