• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Info on USNTPS?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
My current major is Mechanical Engineering and am interested in possibly applying for USNTPS for my first shore tour. I have a couple of questions if anyone has any info:

1) Assuming that I don't get to fly jets, does anyone here know anyone at TPS from other communities (helo, P-3, etc.)?

2) The TPS website states that completion of the TPS school is a HUGE step towards a Masters Degree through Monterey...is there any truth to this (amplifying info please)?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
My current major is Mechanical Engineering and am interested in possibly applying for USNTPS for my first shore tour. I have a couple of questions if anyone has any info:

1) Assuming that I don't get to fly jets, does anyone here know anyone at TPS from other communities (helo, P-3, etc.)?

2) The TPS website states that completion of the TPS school is a HUGE step towards a Masters Degree through Monterey...is there any truth to this (amplifying info please)?

1. Yes. I spoke to the XO of TPS (another good perk of hanging out at the Mustin Beach O club!)

TPS is there to test out future fleet aircraft amongst other things, so they need jet guys, helo guys, p-3 guys and E-6 guys too. Those fleet aircraft just don't pop out of thin air with NATOPS and SOP. Someone has to test them, fly them and write up all that shit.

2. There is a program where you get your masters along with going to TPS. Not sure of the exact details and I'll let someone else who knows answer this, but I'm pretty sure a masters is sort of part and parcel of going to TPS if not a good portion of the coursework.

torpedo0126

from what I read from the Instructions the USNTPS provides links for, you can apply just to TPS or for the TPS Masters program thing. With the latter, you will complete six months of coursework in Monterey before heading to the actual TPS school (and subsequently be awarded a Masters in some sort of Systems discipline).

I was told that you don't have to have an engineering background if you have engineering physics and calc under your belt...any truth to that?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
According to the NAVADMIN for Feb 2009, most applicants have engineering/physics/math backgrounds, but the board claims that is not a MANDATORY pre-req...it says to make yourself competitive by completing some sort of math/science education on your own if your degree is in something else.

Pags

N/A
pilot
All the info you can ever want to know on TPS can be found on NPC under the AEDO tab, buried inside the PERS-43 area.

1. Yes, all communities can send pilots to TPS. The exact number from each community depends on the dreaded "needs of the navy" and what they're gonna need test pilots for. The squadron you go to following TPS is dependent on your background, for instance, helo bubbas go to HX-21. There are other squadrons for Strike and Force aircraft.

2. If you're selected for the co-op program, you'll be sent to NPS prior to TPS to spend time doing coursework in Systems Engineering. Following your completion of TPS, you get a masters degree from NPS. TPS counts as the thesis portion of the grad degree.

An engineering degree isn't req'd, but a technical degree is highly recommended. There are waivers, but someone who's more qualified (better school background) stands a better chance of getting in.

If you're interested now, I highly recommend you concentrate on kicking ass in an engineering degree. GPA is on the application.