• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Injury Prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

Seeing how the attrition is insane at OCS... what are some good ways to prepare (or prevent) for injury. I mean, I know chance and fate has alot to do with it, but Id like to atleast go in thinking I have taken care of myself and done what I could.
Anyone here know of anything you would have done before OCS, if you knew then what you know now?

Crowbar

None
OCS is set up much different (read: better) this year than it was last year. Not saying it was easier, but different. Last year there would be several graded physical events on back to back days with no time to recover. This year we had our graded events spaced out. Plus, on post-hump days there was no PT, we were usually in running shoes, and we would have 30-45 minutes scheduled to go stretch with the PTI. That seemed to help more than you might think. Also, ice is available at night, usually after lights out. Almost everybody in my plt had something they wanted to ice. Stretch in your rack before you go to sleep and if you wake up early enough in the morning, do it again.

If you've had problems with something in the past, get screened by physical therapy at the beginning. They can help you out and give you tips and stretches to help keep from screwing yourself up again. Make sure you have new shoes and boots and new insoles. I finally figured out that my faithful old black boots were the devil as far as injuries.

That's about all I can think of. I'm sure other people will have more ideas. Good luck!

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I would say the best advice for OCS would be proper preparation prior to shipping and drinking water. PT like it's your job before you go...it makes EVERYTHING easier for you. Also, to build on what Crowbar said, stretch. Start stretching alot now...the more flexible you are the less prone to injury you will be.
Also, drink your water. Heat injuries are the most preventable...two of them and you are shipped home. Plus nobody wants to be pantsed and given the silver bullet in front of their company and female staff members.
Take notes during class so you can get as much sleep as possible at night. It's a godsend for letting your body heal. 4 hours per night won't cut it.
It's true there is an element of luck involved in not getting iunjured, but good prep is the equalizer. Also remember there is a big difference between being hurt and being injured. Everyone is hurt after a few weeks...it's the injuries that get you on light duty. Light duty means the chits just roll in. Good Luck!

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
My OSA before he left for California told me to start taking calcium supplements to help prevent minor stress fractures like shin splints and the like. He recommended coral calcium, but I've found you can also take Tums or a generic brand to get a sufficient dose of elemental calcuim in your system.

reapergm

Yeah, I started to drink more milk and eat calcium rich food. Maybe I will switch over to the pills. I stretch like mad now too.

TargetInSight

Yeah daily supplements have some good stuff in there.. Vitamin C ones have helped with the cold-prevention. Is that "contraband" there? I mean you're not gonna find me stuffin' cupcakes in my locker, but vitamins? Any OCS studs have the answer?

JJEXP

India Company, Booger Platoon
I don't think you'll be able to bring vitamins down with you, but you can definetly purchase them on libo and bring them back. ALso, I think the best was to avoid injury at OCS is to do any physical activity exactly as they tell you. A couple guys got severely injured because they didn't. If they tell you to bend down and grab chips when you jump off a wall or a bar, do it. Some guys didn't, one guy blew out his knee and was npq in the fifth week. OCS is probably the safest place I have been (involving phisical activities), as long as you do things the right way.

reapergm

jjexp - I think I know that kid that was NPQd, he comes on here once and awhile. Tore ACL.

How does access to ice work?

JJEXP

Torn acl, thats him. If you see him let him know we didnt forget about his shirt. Access to ice is usually you just ask the platoon sgt or platoon commander for permission to go. Have a valid reason for it though, don't be the one getting ice to fill his canteen. Also, don't listen to half the stuff that site says not to bring. Motrin is authorized as long as the pills are 200mg or less.

reapergm

Yeah, I know him. Ill let him know that.

How much motrin? Is it right away you can bring it? Or after awhile (post-libo)?

UORBulldog

If you asked one of my platoon staff to get ice they would deny you real quick. The only way to get it in my platoon was to have the first firewatch go grab you a bag right after lights out.

reapergm

Crowbar -

I printed the page cant wait to show the SI!! j/k.. I know I figured that it would be taken away. Did you make that Trogdor out of playdough?

Clux4

Banned
Has anyone here tried Quatrozone shorts. I got this in my shins a couple years back and never felt pain ever since. It would not hurt to get one of thise in both shins just before you got OCS.

JJEXP

Crowbar said:
Reaper,
You may want to print this page out and take it so you have a source document from competent authority proving you can have pills. Take chances if you want. Motrin ain't hard to get. I brought two full bottles home with me...

Wheres the middle finger smiley? :icon_tong

Status
Not open for further replies.