• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

interested in both Navy and Marines

mike172

GO NAVY
So, I am a junior and today a SSGT from the local recruiting station called up, and talked to me and what not. To make a long story short he is going to call me in 5 months or so to start my App, I am also interested in the Navy though, so how should i go about letting him know that, I dont want him to lose faith in me or anything. I am interested in exploring both, so i am just looking for any advice on a tactful way to let him know.
Thanks

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
1) Its none of his concern- you don't have to tell him if you don't want to.

2) If you want to tell him- just say something about how you have a great desire to serve your country and want to keep your options open incase things dont work out etc.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
When I first became interested in serving, I talked to both Navy and Marine recruiters. I was honest with the Marines from the beginning about the fact that I also talked to a Navy recruiter. They didn't think it was a big deal. I think most people do research to investigate which branch is right for them.

But things changed when it came time to start the application process for the Marines, they wanted to make sure that I was in it for the long run and that I was dedicated to the Marines.

Just be honest with the SSgt and don't jerk him around. Remember, you're not the first person to be in this situation.

Ex Rigger

pilot
Some may not agree with what I'm going to say.......
If your not signing a contract then apply to both and see what happens. Don't tell either one about the other. If you get both make your decision and tell the other one no thanks and move on. However, I don't know your details and there may be more to your app process than I think....but like I said if you don't sign a contract then who cares.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Ex Rigger said:
Some may not agree with what I'm going to say.......
If your not signing a contract then apply to both and see what happens. Don't tell either one about the other. If you get both make your decision and tell the other one to get lost...more tactfully. However, I don't know your details and there may be more to your app process than I think....but like I said if you don't sign a contract then who cares.

Good call- they're used to having people, especially aspiring aviators apply to both services. I don't think that I was so bold as to tell the Navy to "get lost"... my recruiters were extremely good on both sides, and I was highly appreciative of both. You only increase your chances of acceptance to an aviation program by applying to both, and it also gives you time to do your research and pick which service better suits you. Ex Rigger's definitely got it right.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you contract with the Marines before you send in your application? I thought that's how I did it...

ItsTurboTime

When I started looking I checked every single service. I told all the recruiters that. None had any kind of problem with that. In fact it's helpful so they can tell you what's different about their service and why it might fit you better. I also had no problem telling them on their follow up calls that I had begun the application process wit the Marines. They were all happy for me.

batman527

Banned
It seems strange to me that the SSGT would just leave him in limbo for five months without actually putting him in contact with his immediate superior, someone who I think would be really helpful in this situation. If it were me, I'd tell them that you hadn't decided on either the Navy or the Marines. You are of course going to get kind of a sales pitch, but if you're applying to be an Officer of Marines, they'll tell you everything up front. They'll help you get there if you want it, but they don't want to waste their time if you're not 100% about what it is you want to do. I'm not sure how the Navy works in that regard.

Also, if you're going to do this, you need to start PTing. Just the standard three mile run, pull-ups, and crunches. There's another wierd aspect of this whole thing, the SSGT would want you to start PTing right away if you're going to put an Officer App in. If I were you, I'd call him back and see if there's someone in your area that's in the same position as you are (applying). Then you two can PT together which is easier than doing it alone.

Main point though, I'd just be up front with them. If you're looking for a way to not piss people off, tell them the truth from the beginning. That way they can't take it personally if you don't decide to go through their pipeline and into the other one. Always be totally upfront, the people you're working with will be able to help.

To answer openbah's question, you do contract with the Marines before your Packet goes to the selection board, but if you're not selected, obviously you're released from that contract. That's just a paperwork anomoly, but it's a good thing to keep in mind if you're considering the Marines, you take the oath when you contract which is before your application is submitted.

nana nana nana nana nana nana nana nana BATMAN!

KBayDog

Mike -

Make sure the recruiter knows that (based on your profile) you do not want to enlist - you want to apply for NROTC. It sounds like he's an enlisted recruiter.

If I am off-base, and you've already talked to him about NROTC, disregard the above.

SgtUSMC

I second what KayBay wrote. Marine recruiters only deal with enlisted contracts. The guy who deals with officer contracts is either the OSO or his OSA. Officer Selection Officer and Officer Selection Assistant (I think is what the A stands for). The OSA would be an enlistedman, maybe a SSgt. but anyone who calls you and tells you he is a recruiter is an enlisted recruiter and has nothing to do with officer applications.

If he calls back just make sure you know who he is. Maybe OSAs call people randomly, but that sounds more like something a recruiter would be doing.

Edit: Can you still do NROTC if you are already a junior?

Reactions: E5B

Ex Rigger

pilot
Mike172
Date of Birth:
January 31, 1989
I didn't realize you were a junior in High School when you posted......that's a big difference. That recruiter is trying to get you to enlist, maybe that's what you want. If your dream is to be a Naval Aviator then your going down the long road. Though you will gain valuable experience, I do not recommend it if you have the opportunity for an NROTC scholarship. If your going to enlist and want to help yourself get to helicopters, then try to get an aircrew slot and don't let them tell you it's not available. Everything is available it's just if they want to work to make it happen. Getting aircrew doesn't guarantee you helos, it just gives you better chance than some of the other aviation fields.

Reactions: E5B

mike172

GO NAVY
I have no intention of enlisting, i think he called cause last year he was in school, and i gave him my info, and since im turning 17 hes trying to get me to enlist, however i made it clear when he called that i was interested in doing NROTC and going to college. I don't know if hes hoping he will be able to coerce me into enlisting, i was a little confused when he said he could help me fill out my app for NROTC, because i do know that is usually a OSO deal.

saltpeter

If your a high school student that wants to fly helos I'd suggest you talk to an Army recruiter. The Army has a high school to flight school program, where you'll be commission a Warrant Officer and your sole job will be to fly. It's a great deal. Also, check out the Air Guard units around the country, many units can't fill all their slots.

mike172

GO NAVY
I do want to go to college first, I only have one oportunity to go with my parents doing most of the paying, the Navy and Marines will be there when i graduate. Most importantly i do want to join the Navy or Marines for sure, and if i want to fly i have to be an officer, so there is really only one option fors me. Thanks for the info on Army WOCS though thanks.

Note: I actually wasent planning on applying for NROTC 4 year because i screwed away freshman and sophmore year, so i felt my scores were not high enough and to not bother, and just focus on getting to college and applying for 3 year. The recruiter said i should apply, but like what was said above he might just be trying to enlist me.