• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interested...

PeteEatWorld

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions/concerns I wanted help answering, and this looks like the best place to look them up.

My ultimate goal, just as a lot of people, is to fly. It's really the only thing I've wanted to since I was a child. Now let me give you my history. I spent 4 years in NJROTC preparing to go to ROTC in college, OCS, and then follow the route on into the NAVY. I even received a scholarship to A&M to join the corps of cadets. Here comes the bumps. I ended up declining the scholarship to attend another college, and eventually lost financial aid at that school (due to my father getting a lump sum of money). Now, I'm here at a community college trying to finish my freshman year.

I haven't forgotten about flying, I still want that, I just want to pick the best (and most secure) route.

Through research I've found out this info, so correct me if I'm wrong.

• I'm ineligible for the 4 year ROTC scholarship now, because I graduated school.
  • There is 3 year scholarship programs for college freshman/sophomore's. (questions about this further down)
  • BDCP is an option.
  • I can receive my degree on my own accord and go to OCS.
If I attempt to receive a 3 year scholarship from ROTC, do I have to be in the ROTC program my freshman year? I'm already half way through my Freshman year, and that could cause a kink in plans.

BDCP sounds like a good route for me seeing I'm already in school, but do they look down on community colleges, or does it matter? Another thing, I heard BDCP puts in a very low number of officers in the Navy. Is it risky?

My only issue with paying my own way through school and then going through OCS is that I can't afford to go to a nicer school... and becoming a pilot is very competitive, I want to look my best.

Please any info, if you've been there, or you can just give any advice, please help.

~Chase

snake020

Contributor
I'm ineligible for the 4 year ROTC scholarship now, because I graduated school.
Unless something has changed, that's not true. I had started at a community college when I put in my scholarship application, and I got a 4 year to UC Berkeley (which I ended up turning down because Berkeley didn't want me to transfer as a sophomore). I also did NJROTC, and I believe the scholarship board's "second look" for NJROTC helped out. Don't forget some majors take 5 years.

If I attempt to receive a 3 year scholarship from ROTC, do I have to be in the ROTC program my freshman year?

Three year means it'd start your sophomore year. I think it's the same as applying for what I did when I was already in school

There is also a 2 year ROTC scholarship option I believe. One more year without money though...[/QUOTE]

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
You are only ineligible for the 4-year if you will earn more than 45 quarter hours or 30 semester hours by August 2007.